Friday, November 17, 2017

Living in an old house and my landlord rents out the apartment above me on Airbnb... need advice! TorontoRenting

I have an apartment in an old converted Victorian house with incredibly poor sound proofing. The floors are loud and creaky, and people’s footsteps and thunderously loud. My bedroom walls literally shake when the upstairs tenants walk around. I shit you not, but I was woken up at 7 am this morning when a picture in my room fell off the wall as the upstairs tenant stomped around.

This wasn’t initially a problem because the long term tenant that used to live there kept a similar schedule to my own, so the noise was never bothersome. But since they moved out, the landlord began renting the unit out on Airbnb and now there’s a constant parade of people going through. They’re often fine, but many keep odd hours and wear shoes in the house and the noise level is insane. I mean, the walls are literally knocking things down from all the shaking. I know the problems are structural and it’s hard to complain because the noises come from people doing normal things. I’m friendly with the only other long term tenant in my building (7/9 units are now rented on Airbnb), and she said that when she brought it up regarding her own apartment with the landlord he said that if we didn’t like it, we could move. He seems annoyed that he still has tenants paying pre-2016 rental fees (prices in this city have really spiked in the last year and a half).

To be fair, he hasn’t raised rent since I moved in, but at the same time he doesn’t take care of anything. Like my refrigerator sprung a leak and I ended up having to take care of it myself because the handyman he said he was hiring never showed. I don’t mind keeping the apartment in good condition myself, but this is outside of my control. I don’t know what to do because I can’t find anything about soundproofing on any tenant rights websites, and I’m afraid to get on his bad side. I really cannot afford to move.



Submitted November 17, 2017 at 09:06PM by verdecielo http://ift.tt/2iqD1hM TorontoRenting

No comments:

Post a Comment