Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Tested recipes for raw-packed strawberries in syrup? Canning

One of my favorite ways to eat strawberries is with balsamic and sugar, and while eating some the other day it crossed my mind that it might work well for canning. I know that low pH fruits can be canned in syrup, so I figured it would be as simple as using a tested berries in syrup recipe and replacing the water in the syrup with balsamic.

Well, upon searching I'm finding that there are practically no tested recipes for strawberries in syrup. The nchfp has instructions for all kinds of whole berries in syrup, except for strawberries. The one recipe I was able to find (on a blog, supposedly from a Ball book) involves macerating the strawberries in sugar before heating through to create syrup, which is different then the raw-pack hot-syrup method I'm looking for. I also tried searching for pickled strawberry recipes, but all the ones I found were for refrigerator pickles.

Do strawberries just release way too much liquid to be used in recipes like this? Or is it that they get too mushy after 15 mins processing time? I don't really care if they get soft, I envision this as a syrupy condiment to eat with cheese.

I just want to make sure I do it right and I'm wondering if there's a reason I can't find any raw-pack strawberry recipes?



Submitted November 28, 2017 at 10:19PM by likewtvrman http://ift.tt/2BuHszX Canning

No comments:

Post a Comment