Sunday, November 26, 2017

FIL (55+M) Bad Houseguest to Fiancé (33M) and Myself (28F). How to talk to FIL about this? relationships

tl;dr FIL (55+M) came to stay for Thanksgiving. Practiced poor/disrespectful boundaries. Fiancé (33M) and myself (28F) are salty, wondering what to say (if anything)?

My fiancé’s father (55+M) came to stay with us for thanksgiving from out of state. He often “drops in” on family with little to no notice, and I’m a fairly newer addition to the family so I try to be understanding and not let his lack of communication become annoying. He has a tendency to be totally unaware of social situations as well which can become tiring.

Anyway, the week before he arrived I placed an order at our local dairy delivery for the first time. People around this area rave about the quality of the milk and how authentic it is. I’ve never tried real cream at the top of milk, so I got my fiancé & me a special pint of heavy cream (since I also know how much fiancé loves whipping creme). The new dairy arrived while my fiancé’s dad was staying with us and we briefly talked about how I’ve never tried the real cream (the stuff that gathers at the top of dairy farm milk & creamer) and so I was excited to try it!

Fast forward to day my fiancé’s father leaves, in our refrigerator we had a pint about 1/4 full of store bought whipping cream (which was located at the front of the fridge), and our brand new fancy heavy cream from our local dairy farm (hidden in back of fridge). Both my fiancé and I were asleep when his dad left, but I had prepared hard boiled eggs and bagel/cream cheese for him so he wouldn’t be hungry while traveling. I thought this would be considerate.

Later in the morning, went upstairs to get ready for the day and noticed it. His dad had literally pulled the new creme from the back of the fridge, opened our bottle of heavy creme, drank all the awesomeness off the very top, and put it back in our fridge.

Fiancé and I were absolutely blown away by this. What the actual fuck? His dad knew I’d never tried that part of the milk- he didn’t care. He was a GUEST in our home who decided to help himself to whatever he wanted without asking and had no conscious about it.

My questions are: My fiancé and I are feeling salty about this, are we being too sensitive? If not, how do you suggest we handle this? Should we say something to his dad? I do recognize his dad has social awkwardness, but I feel his actions were childish and disrespectful as a guest in our home.



Submitted November 26, 2017 at 08:42PM by Squeakysez http://ift.tt/2A73R86 relationships

No comments:

Post a Comment