Monday, November 27, 2017

Honk Honk nosleep

I jumped. My heart beating and my eyes racing. I looked up and saw a silhouette of a bird landing on a tree. At least that's what I thought it was, my eyes were still adjusting to the dark. "Just a bird. Just a bird," I thought. I was always scared of the woods. I'm not sure why, but they truly freaked me out. I couldn't handle it anymore. "Fuck it," I thought. "I'll just use my light." I pulled out my phone, clicked on the 'Flashlight' button and turned my phone off. Yes, I failed. I was trying to overcome my fear of the woods. Going at night probably wasn't the best idea.

Walking, walking seemed like a chore. Every metre I went, I checked over my left shoulder and checked over my right. I was paranoid, I know. But after 1998, I had to. "Alright, almost there, almost there." I wasn't almost there. I was far from it. You see, where I live there is a massive forest near my neighbourhood. It's flat, yes. But it is littered with trees. It was almost like being shrunk down to the size of a grain of sand and walking through a hairbrush. Thin, creepy trees everywhere. I'm 29, you see, and I live alone. Well, not alone. I have a cat; her name is Daisy. So basically, I'm a loser.

This was getting easy; I was calming down. "This isn't so hard after all," I whispered. I didn't want anyone hearing me, but I liked talking to myself. Now I come to think of it, why was I whispering? It's not like my footsteps were quiet. Every step I took, leaves would rustle. I felt a tugging on my foot and blood rushed to my head. I fell over. "Good job making the loudest noise ever, idiot," I thought, shaming myself. I did that a lot. I wasn't perfect, no one is. But making fun of myself brought a lighter, sort of approach to unpleasant situations. I stood up, wiped the area of my jacket where my stomach is located to remove the leaves that stuck to me and continued walking. My head was throbbing a bit. It was like I was gonna Hulk out. Y'know, when he gets angry he turns into a green monster? Ah, comics. Yes, irrelevant, right.

Honk Honk

I looked around. "What the fuck?" I muttered. I shined the light of my phone directly in front of me and spun around. I jolted my head to the right as I saw something, something red. There was a red object sticking out from about human height from one of the trees. See, this wasn't one of those thin trees. This tree was thick, like the size of the whomping willow in The Chamber of Secrets. Y'know, Harry Potter, the books. Why am I trying to explain popular culture? Anyway. This tree was thick, the right width for someone to hide behind it. It came to me; its hair. "Hey, whos there?" I said in a tough sort of voice. It stepped out from behind the tree, a clown.

The clown had big black shoes, a yellow jumpsuit, a blue and white collar, a white face with a big red nose and big puffy hair. I'd recognised it; it was 'IT'. Well, Pennywise. A guy in a Pennywise costume, from the 1990 movie, 'IT'. "Haha," I said sarcastically. "Nice try scaring me, now piss off. I'll fucking bash you if you don't." I was trying to act tough. I wasn't. I was tiny. I have my father's build. I'm not fat, but I don't have much muscle either. The clown was just standing there, staring at me. It didn't look intimidated. I stepped backwards. "Okay, I'm going to leave now, don't come near me," I said. I took one more step backwards and it raised its arm from behind it's back. A knife, in his hand. Well, I wasn't sure if it was a 'He' or a 'She', but it looked like a guy. The clown started running, running towards me. My heart skipped a beat as I turned to the left and ran as fast as I could. I didn't look back. It would slow me down. As I was running, I could hear laughing and the sound of honking. Honk Honk. It was the big red nose.

I made it. I was out of breath, but I made it. I slammed my feet on to the road. The feeling of, well, the feeling of not being in the bush was so relieving. I ran home, scared, more scared than I had ever been. I was so happy when I reached my front lawn. I grabbed the door handle and twisted it; it didn't budge. "Keys," I thought. I put my hand into my right pocket, fluff. I put my hand into my left pocket, keys. My keys rattled around as I lifted them up, I stuck my key in the door and unlocked it. "I don't think he followed me. Fucking clowns. Why did I have to watch that stupid movie when I was ten years old?" The ray of light and the fresh air from my refrigerator was satisfying. The taste of cold beer touching my dehydrated tongue was the best thing that happened to me that night. I sat down at my desk and turned on my computer. My monitor wasn't on and as I reached to click the 'On' button, Honk Honk. I could see white and red in the reflection.



Submitted November 28, 2017 at 01:21AM by SomeOrangeJuice http://ift.tt/2hWjdC2 nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment