Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Trying to rent an apartment but RED FLAGS. Am I paranoid or should I be worried? personalfinance

So this is my first apartment and I found a property through apartment.com, it is on a couple other sites as well. However the situations seems sketchy to be and I am gun shy about my first apartment.

So situation: 2b/2b Condo in Midtown Atlanta for $1000/month including "cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc." as described by the "owner." This is a great deal in Atlanta and the owner's story is she bought the condo while he daughter was studying abroad in the US but she and her daughter live in Canada now so she wants to lease the apartment out.

Here is the kicker, the deposit is $1000 and for a $1000/month place that seems like a lot but ok. Then I get an email this morning.

FROM THE OWNER: "Thank you for your reply! As I said, I'm in Canada and cannot be present to deal face to face. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from Canada through Airbnb which is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased. I will explain how it works.. If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number, full name, address and email where you want to receive the keys and the temporary contract. Then I will go at Airbnb company from Canada provide them your informations, and they will start the process right away in US. Next you will receive a notification message from them containing all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys. Regarding the Payment, you will be instructed to do the deposit to an agent from Airbnb, they will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent the place or not. You have to pay $1000, if you will not be satisfied with the apartment the total amount will be refunded in same day after your request. You will be given a 3 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract. Durring this period you can take a decision. If you like the apartment then we will make a direct rental contract. As for the monthly payment are done directly to my bank account from Canada at the beginning or end of month, at your convenience. If you cannot move because you have not yet completed the lease at the apartment where you stand now, the payment of deposit can be considered as an inspection of the apartment or the date in which you want to begin the lease and move in. I look forward hearing back from you."

I have rented through AirBnb before but never with people in another country and I am VERY VERY skeptical about putting a $1000 deposit down when I have 1) not seen the apartment and 2) don't know if I will get it back since I've never done a monthly rental with Airbnb.

Apartment listing here

TDLR To make a long post short there seems to be red flags all over the place but I really want this place to be real.



Submitted November 28, 2017 at 09:22PM by neekynightwing http://ift.tt/2iehBaP personalfinance

No comments:

Post a Comment