Monday, November 27, 2017

Issues with my landlord ignoring problems in my apartment and the property (CT) legaladvice

I have been having issues with my landlord for the past three months since I've signed my lease and moved into my apartment.

He's been ignoring issues that I've brought to his attention. There are some times that he acknowledges things that I bring up, but he never follows through even though I send him texts and write letters to him with my rent check. There are other times that he ignores issues that I bring up.

One issue is that I've been requesting a hardcopy of our lease agreement. When we signed the lease, he only brought one copy and he had me take a photo (with my phone) and convert to PDF. He said he'd mail the copy of the lease, but he never has regardless of how many times I've reminded him.

I've been asking for the key to the deadbolt to the front door for months and he hasn't acknowledged me. The second floor tenants lock the door and I'm unable to enter by the front door and have to walk all the way around the house to come in. I'm disabled and when it snows I can't be walking through the snow because of a frostbite injury. I need access to the front door to go in and out, and to have an easier access to the mailbox so I don't have to go around the house outside.

When we signed the lease, I was told that I didn't have to worry about the snow - that the driveway would be cleared. One of the tenants told me: "And you'll be helping me shovel the snow." I told her, "No I won't." (because of my disability AND what I was told). I asked him again what the policy was with snow and I've gotten no acknowledgement.

I asked him about deadbolts and he said he would call me to talk about it, but he never did. I asked him again and waited and have gotten no response. I've since had deadbolts put in my doors. (All the other tenants have deadbolts and we're in a city). Can I send him a copy of the receipts and take the cost out of the rent??

I told him that the bottom bin (the crisper) of the refrigerator is cracked all the way through on one side and needs replacing. He told me once that he will be ordering it and it will take a couple weeks to come in. This was in September. I've been asking whether he will be replacing the bin and then finally whether I would. So, the other day I purchased one on Amazon. Can I send him the invoice and subtract the cost of the bin from the rent??

There are other things and I really don't know what to do...



Submitted November 27, 2017 at 01:31PM by jweaving http://ift.tt/2k0vPfJ legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment