Tuesday, March 1, 2016

My [24F] SO's [24M] father and step mother [late 40's] still haven't celebrated our engagement with us and seem to be dodging the opportunity. relationships

On Mobile so please excuse any formatting issues!

Me and my SO got engaged last September, it was perfect and our families were very congratulatory and happy for us. We planned a celebratory meal for mid October with our closest family and friends at a lovely restaurant.

I should note that my SO's parents got divorced when he was 12, it was messy on both sides but the two families are very civil now when it comes to social gatherings like birthdays etc. When it comes to booking the meal, everyone agrees they can make that date, SO's father confirms he and step mother can both make it. A few days before, step mother freaks out saying she can't go and she's working that day (side note: the meal is on a Saturday, step mother very, very rarely works a Saturday, so I feel a little suspicious) she blames SO's father for not telling her the right date, once it's confirmed that step mother won't be attending, SO's father says he doesn't want to go on his own and risk feeling awkward with my SO's mother and step dad there. Fair enough, I get it.

The meal is lovely, my brother makes it all the way from London to be with us and my closest friend who lives in Manchester travels just to be there to celebrate with us. We receive cards from all our friends and family, even ones who aren't present at the meal. As a present, SO's step dad pays for the meal and our drinks. My parents also bought us a new refrigerator that we so desperately needed.

Back to present day. We've mentioned to SO's father and step mother that we still need to go out and celebrate two times, they always say sure, but nothing ever comes of it. We also have never received a card or gift from them (not that I expect that, but the thought is the sentiment of we're happy for you') I feel as though they may not be happy about the engagement, although they've never expressed a dislike towards me and always ask to see us occasionally. They're also very lackluster grandparents and don't really bother with our daughter who just turned 2. I've spoken to my SO countless times about these issues, but he's a very laid back person who will do anything to avoid confrontation. Should I speak to them personally about how I feel? Or just wait to see if anything comes of their word to celebrate with us?

TL;DR - father in law and step mother in law(?) keep saying they will celebrate our engagement 6 months on after skipping the planned celebrations.



Submitted March 01, 2016 at 03:13PM by PAPER_SNOW_A_GHOST_ http://ift.tt/1QIoyoa relationships

No comments:

Post a Comment