Saturday, March 26, 2016

Need to Grow Enough Food to Last Winter - Need Advice gardening

I am going to try literally old-school roughing it once the snow here is gone. I might make it a point to rough it and be living in a makeshift hut, then record it all and put it on youtube, but I might upgrade that to a shed or a donated camper if friends/relatives donate one by chance. One things for certain though, I'll let myself freeze to death before I sign a damn lease again, so I have to make this work.

There's not very much clear land, and it's sort of swampy and thick with trees. There's about half an acre of good clear flat land that won't flood where I can plant crops, and the rest I'll have to make up for here and there. I don't know how to tell if soil is fertile or not, but it is swampish even in the good parts (not a fully submerged bog, but swampish).

In my mind, I was thinking I'd just plant a bunch of corn and tomato plants all over, but I'm sure there is something more practical considering the variables. Winter hits early November and is in full swing by the fourth week of the month. I don't know the first thing about storing vegetables over the winter, and don't know what the most durable thing to grow would be for that. What I don't get in stored vegetables I will make up for in venison, but I'd like to get the extra food groups in.

I guess my biggest questions are: - Will corn even grow on swampy land? - What are my best options for what to grow? - Will the soil be good? My guess is soil with nearby swamps would either be really good or really bad, but I don't actually have a clue. - How much will I have to plant realistically? I'm sure I'll get meals from elswhere here or there occasionally, but assuming 6 days out of the week I'll only be eating what I grow.

This is actually sort of necessary; Minnesota cut food stamps back in 2013 back before I ever needed them. I could move to Wisconsin but I'd rather not start welfare surfing and instead at least try to learn self sufficiency while I still have a chance to. We're not more than 4 generations outside of a time before refrigerators, and humans have lived the majority of their time on Earth being able to feed themselves while living in small communities, so I know it's not impossible.

Any advice you have will be invaluable; thank you in advance.



Submitted March 27, 2016 at 06:25AM by metacogitans http://ift.tt/1PxCSPh gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment