Sunday, March 27, 2016

I'm [25/M], birthday was yesterday. My [23/F] girlfriend went out with her friend [23/F]. Should I be upset? relationship_advice

Girlfriend and I have been together for 3 years. On birthdays, I always put her wants before mine, plus I get things arranged/ready the day before at the least. Flowers and a gift are my usual, plus a nice dinner. I just turned 25 yesterday and was left feeling forgotten.

I got a "happy birthday" in the morning. We took a shower, then I went for my 1-10PM shift. She took her dog to the vet. At 4PM, I ask if she can bring me some lunch. She texts me asking what I want for food, and what type of cake I like. I reply with my choices.

5PM, She brings me some Chinese food, we spent my lunch break together. She leaves to go see her friend [23/F] who is visiting from SF bay area. They went to a local outdoor mall.

I get off work at 10PM (same time as always) and head straight home. Upon arrival, her car is not there. Checked the table and the refrigerator for a cake. Seemed strange she asked me what type of cake I wanted, for there not to be a cake. Didn't spot any gifts anywhere.

I sit down and put on GTA 5 to pass the time, I ended up falling asleep, still wearing my work clothes. I wake at 12:30AM when she makes it home. I'm tired by then and go to sleep.

The next day, I confront her. All I get is excuses. She says my dad was going to get the cake. My mother just had surgery for her knee (torn meniscus) and my Dad [78/M] has back problems/is taking care of my mother. Due to these circumstances, it is highly unlikely that they were going to leave their home for any reason at all. I asked my father about it and he said he specifically asked my girlfriend to get the cake (hence her text to me).

I am not particularly picky about gifts, something small would have been great. She isn't having any financial trouble, even has a good job working at a bank. What really upset me, she wasn't there waiting for me after a long day at work. She was out with her friend having drinks. All I wanted was to have my babe to sing happy birthday to me, while the cake thing was additional disappointment because she led me on by asking me which flavor I wanted.

Should I feel uspet/slighted? Or am I overreacting? She had all day without work to have made these arrangements. She also could have visited her friend from 6-10PM and headed home in time to meet me.

If that's too long, I'll whip up a TL;DR. Thanks.



Submitted March 28, 2016 at 03:03AM by cobblewagen http://ift.tt/1pEltzt relationship_advice

No comments:

Post a Comment