Friday, April 1, 2016

The Black Book nosleep

Part 1

My sister had come into my room, and instead of being polite and waking me up like a regular human, decided to scream like she was being chased by a murderer. I jumped out of bed looking for the reason of her screaming, frantically searching the room. She laughed as she left my room.

“Asshole,” I muttered.

“Bitch,” she replied.

I could smell the bacon as soon as I hit the hall, so hurried upstairs to where my parents were cooking breakfast. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, orange juice, the whole works.

Like am I missing something

I must have had a confused look on my face, because my mom said, “really you don’t know what day it is?”

“Nope,” I shot her a look of apologetic guilt. “Your birthday?”

“No, dumbass. It’s yours,” my sister said plainly. “Like how do you forget your own birthday?”

“Hailey! Language!” Exclaimed my mom holding a whisk, dripping with pancake batter, like a lethal weapon.

“Be nice to your brother, Hailey,” my dad chimed in.

“Oh…yeah, it is,” I said with less enthusiasm than a dead snail.

For four years now, ever since my 15th birthday, I haven’t really liked celebrating things. Easter kind of sucks, Christmas is somewhat tolerable, and my birthday (hooray I am one year older) I don’t particularly care for it anymore. I do however love me some birthday breakfast, and Halloween is pretty great too. My parents knew, I’ve told them multiple times, they don’t get me any presents really, just socks and underwear. The essentials you know.

I sat down at the table poured some orange juice, while my mother brought plates of scrambled eggs, bacon slices, and pancakes over. My dad was cooking sausage and hash browns, and my sister was on her phone. We made small chit chat while waiting for the rest of the food, said Grace, and ate. I finished first, rinsed my dish and headed downstairs for some gaming.

“You hungry?” Asked my mom, knocking on my door before she entered.

It was about noon, just four hours ago we had had a huge breakfast, a near three course meal. I looked at her like she was crazy, “of course I’m hungry mom! What do you think I am some normal person?”

She smiled and chuckled a little, I smiled back. She asked “Whatcha want?”

“Want me to come fix it?” I responded.

“No its your birthday, I’ll fix it just tell me what you want.”

“Your best sandwich.”

“What kind?”

“Dealer’s choice.”

My door had only been closed a few seconds when in came my dad. He had one arm full of stuff, leaning back so it all didn’t fall while he used his other hand to grab and toss things.

“Where do you want this?” He asked, rummaging through his armload.

I turned my head to see him holding the black book. I froze, reliving everything that had happened the day before, and what had happened earlier that morning.

"Just, uh, right there." I said pointing to the edge of my bed. My dad dropped it and shuffled out of the room almost losing some of the junk. I set my controller down and went over to examine the book again. I picked it up and just held it for a minute, then checked the clock. 12:22. I chuckled to myself remembering the time I woke up last night. I opened the book to the ripped pages again, and ran my fingers across the tattered edges again, watching the clock the entire time. 12:23.

Hmmm....I thought for sure something would happen, maybe I imagined everything yesterday? I didn't get that feeling again either.

My mom walked in and handed me a plate with a large sandwich and some chips, Doritos my favorite. I took the sandwich and set it down on my desk, I opened the book as well, waiting for that same feeling of anxiety to hit me.

"Bring the plate up when you come for dinner," she said as she left, shutting the door behind her.

The feeling of doing something I shouldn't never came, and I took a bite of my sandwich. So it may appear that I am a loner and secluded in a basement, but I have friends, and it was nothing for me to spend an entire day in my room. I work for my local paper, I draw cartoons, funny, sad, and everything in between. Now I'm not just a cartoonist I have drawings of many real things all over my walls. I'm going to art school once summer is over, develop my talents, make this my career.

I decided to sketch the head of a new character I'd been working on, based somewhat on me. I began sketching the outline of the head, I started with the eyes, then the nose, and down to the mouth. I gave him a butt chin, I don't have one but I thought It would look good. His hair was all scraggly and a bit long, he was an artist like me after all, who was also a super villian. He drew comics of him beating superheroes because he never could. The concept of this guy always made me laugh.

"Dinner's ready nerd," announced my sister through my door.

"What?" I let out audibly confused.

"D-I-N-N-E-R, food, eat, you," she responded condescendingly.

I spun around to look at the time, and my heart sank into my stomach. It happened again. It was 6:18. I just lost nearly six hours, drawing a picture that took about five minutes. It was impossible. Suddenly I felt like someone was behind me, I turned expecting to see my sister. No one was there. Another sick feeling hit me like I was being watched. My gaze back to the book, the face not how I remember drawing it, was sad and empty looking. The characters face seemed devoid of any emotion like I was looking at someone who had their whole life suddenly taken away.

"You coming or not?" My sister asked me, flinging open my door.

"Yeah, I just, uh, need to...," I stammered, not completely able to form coherent thoughts or sentences.

"Just hurry up, okay, I'm hungry, thanks, bye," she cut in, shutting my doors and bounding up the stairs.

No way, no way, no way!

There was no way I could have lost six hours. I shut the book, put my pencil on top. My sandwich still there one bite of it taken out. Deciding I better scarf it down, I bit into it, the bread dry on the outside saturated with moisture on the inside, it was gross, so I just threw it away. I dumped the Doritos into a bowl, and ran upstairs.

My family was mid prayer, so I just stood at the top of the stairs until they finished. We ate Beefaroni, homemade, while my parents and sister talked and laughed. I sat there quietly, throwing in nods and smiles occasionally.

"What's wrong?" My mom inquired because of my silence.

"Nothing, just not feeling to well," I responded taking a small bite of my food. "Just want to go to bed, you know?"

"Do you want me to put your food in the refrigerator?" My dad asked, looking at me worriedly.

"Yeah, that'd be great," I said with little enthusiasm, then left to my room. I really didn't feel well, I mean who would after losing six hours suddenly. I was sick to my stomach, my mind was racing. I lay on my bed looking at the ceiling, watching my fan turn trying to make sense of what was going on.

There was a man carrying something into a dungeon, or down a stone staircase it was dark, I was behind him. We reached the bottom, I was carrying a torch. He set a large wooden box on a table in front of him. I felt it pierce me, something sharp I looked down, a blade or something. My vision fading. A scream, but not a human one, it pierced my ears. I fell backwards.

I woke with a start, sweat flowing from my face. I looked at the clock, 2:33. The dream so real, so very real. I felt my chest where the object would have pierced me, nothing, just the rapid beating of my heart.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump

I got up to go get a drink. I flipped on the light, grabbed a glass from the cupboard, and filled it at the sink, déjà vu almost. Filled the cup again and went to check the locks as I had the night before. Garage door, locked. Sliding back door, locked. I took a drink as I reached the front door, locked too. Returning to the kitchen I hit the lights, and headed downstairs.

The sensor light came on again, I chuckled.

Déjà vu for real.

I pulled a single blind down again. My heart pounded in my chest. Water hit my leg as my cup ricocheted off the floor. It was there, whatever I had seen last night. Head cocked to the side, standing still in the middle of our driveway, bathed in the light.

It can see me.



Submitted April 02, 2016 at 01:27AM by iRageMage http://ift.tt/1RRNS1I nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment