Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Theremin nosleep

So I really need some advice on this one guys and gals, I’m beyond creeped the fuck out. I’ve been sitting here for the past few hours trying to figure out what the fuck to do…

So a couple weeks ago my Grandfather passed away unexpectedly. I live out of town and about 45 minutes away from where my Grandfather and parents live. I don’t have a car so my parents were coming to town to pick me up today to attend his funeral service on Saturday. Usually when I would come visit them we would take the “scenic” route which was a bit longer but much nicer. We would pass through several of those “blink and you will miss it towns” on the way. Throughout the years we would stop at some of the restaurants and chip trucks along the way and have a quick lunch.

One of our favourite spots was this little chip truck next to a gas station. Across the street was a cute bakery and beside it was an old church that was turned in an antiques shop. Weather permitting, we would sit outside the chip truck on one of the picnic tables to eat our lunch. I often found myself looking at the church and wanting to go inside. It had this old sign outside it almost resembled one of those “Ye Olde Tavern” medieval signs you see in the movies. The church itself looked VERY old, stone bricks, stained glass etc. There was some random old junk outside it like a rusty printing press, a carriage and some big ass wheel. My parents were always down for discovering new places but for some reason we never went over there.

When my parents came and picked me up I could see they weren’t in the best spirits. Especially my step father (it was his father who just passed away). My step father generally is a pretty outgoing guy, usually upbeat and happy. He never really talks about his emotions or problems and if he is usually troubled or having a bad day he just sits quietly and doesn’t talk. I could see he wasn’t his normal self and I offered to treat my parents to lunch hoping to brighten their spirits. I didn’t even have to suggest the restaurant and we pulled into the chip truck shortly after. The weather was somewhat decent for Canada (at least it wasn’t snowing) so we sat outside and ate our food. I looked over at the antique shop and just sort of blurted out, “Hey do you guys want to go check out that Antique Shop”. My mom looked up at my step father and didn’t say anything. My step father looked across the street and kind of stared at the shop for a while and said “sure, if you want to”. I didn’t think much of it and figured he was just reading the sign. We finished our meals and got in the car and drove across the street.

My mom opened the door and we went inside. The place was huge. It looked like they just gutted the church and stuffed all this old stuff inside. The lighting was minimal and it sort of cast weird shadows on everything making stuff look way dustier then it was. A well-dressed middle aged man was sitting behind a glass display counter and got up to greet us. He introduced himself, said everything in the shop was either from estate auctions, donations and a few things left over from his parent’s personal antique collections. He also let us know everything is final sale and for the entire month there was no taxes on the items. He asked if we are collectors and my step father replied no, just browsing. The man nodded and sat back down behind the counter and went back to reading his book. We roamed around looking at all the old stuff. The antique shop was set up so on the far left side there was random items such as bicycles, refrigerators, trinkets, silverware, creepy old toys etc. On the right hand side there was various furniture, kitchen tables, cribs, bed frames, mirrors and stuff. In the middle of the room they had a living room set up with all old furniture. It looked like something right out of a Victorian home. Everything looked so creepy but beautiful. There was ornate lamps, solid wood coffee tables and end tables, an old velvet couch. There was even some creepy children’s toys set up off to the side like some old ass play area. I was pretty draw to the display and went over to look at the little trinkets. Something shiny caught my eye and I turned to see some weird box thing. It was about 3-3.5 feet tall and had some long antenna looking thing stick straight up out of it and a metal loop sticking out of the side. I had no fucking idea what it was. I walked over to it to get a closer look. I stood there staring at it, trying to figure out what the fuck it was. I figured it was an old radio and inside the box thing was likely the speakers. I was pretty curious at this point and I turned around towards where the shop owner was sitting to see if he was there. When I turned around the man was standing behind me, arms behind his back and staring at me with a slight smile. I jumped a little not expecting him to be there.

“Do you know what that is?” he said “No clue. An old radio? I’m not sure” I replied He chuckled and walked over to it, bending down he opened the box and pulled out a cord. Walking over he plugged it into an outlet. “It’s called a Theremin. This particular model is from 1921.” He said as he turned towards me “No idea what that is, what is it some weather telling device or something” I replied

He laughed again and went over to it. He started moving his hands weird one hand he put over the metal loop thing and the other was beside the antenna. When he did this it started to make this weird ass noise. I can’t really explain it… like a buzzing noise but more pleasant. It was like those songs/noises you would hear in some old sci-fi movie. I was sold. I needed to have this weird instrument. By now both my parents were standing around it watching the man play. I remember looking at them and they seemed to be in a trance. Both standing there just staring at it, no expression. The man stopped playing it and went over the unplug it.

“I’ll give you $200 for it, cash right now” my step dad said

I looked at him in shock. Dammit I wanted it! Normally my mother (who was very tight with their money) would protest any impulse purchase. She just stood there silently as the man packed away the weird instrument.

“My apologies sir. This is not for sale” the man said.

I looked over at my step dad and could literally see his face turn red.

“Then why the fuck do you have it out on the sale floor? $300” he said.

By now I was starting to get worried. My parent’s didn’t really have that kind of money to be pissing away on random junk.

“Dad, he said it isn’t for sale. Plus that’s way to much” I said My Dad snapped his neck around and glared at me. His eyes looked crazy. Like Charles Manson level crazy. He had normal bright blue eyes and they seemed way darker… was it the lighting? “ You and your mother go sit in the fucking car” he yelled

I was beyond creeped the fuck out right now and I have never seen him like this. Out of the 15 years he had been with my mother he has never talked to me this way before or anyone that I was aware of. My mother just walked like a fucking zombie right out the door not even making eye contact with me. I didn’t know what to do so I just followed her out to the car. By the time I got outside she was already sitting in the passenger’s seat. I got in the back seat and immediately asked her what the fuck is wrong with him. My mother didn’t say a word and just burst into tears. I was so freaked out right now. I put my hand on her shoulder and passed her some napkins. She didn’t say anything and just sobbed uncontrollably. I asked her if she was okay and it just seemed to make her cry harder. I offered her a cigarette and she shook her head no. I reached over and kissed her cheek and asked her if she needed anything. She stopped crying for a second and looked back to the antique shops door and just shook her head and continued to cry uncontrollably. I didn’t know what to do at this point. I figured maybe with all the emotional stuff going on in the family, and my step father’s recent outburst that she just had a break down. I massaged her shoulders and tried to calm her down but it was not doing any good.

Suddenly the door beside me opened up and my step dad placed that weird fucking instrument into the car and slammed the door shut. It scared the shit of me and I jumped. He walked over to the driver’s side and opened the door. Not saying a word to either of us he got in, started the car and started driving. My mother was still crying uncontrollably and I was just sitting there fucking confused and freaked the fuck out. The entire ride to my parents’ house was silent, well no words were spoken but my mother cried the entire way.

When we got to their house my step father brought the Theremin inside and took off to the basement, still not saying a word. I helped my mom in the house and offered to make her a tea. She was still crying but managed to nod her head yes. I helped her over to the couch to sit down. At this point I was more focused on trying to get my mother to talk and tell me what the fuck was going on. I made us tea and brought it into the living room. My mother stopped crying and was just sitting there staring blankly ahead at the television (which was off). I set the tea down and sat beside her. I asked her what was wrong and she said nothing. Just stared ahead. I’ve been trying to talk to her and she hasn’t said a word.

About 10 minutes later I could hear that fucking instrument downstairs. Sounds like my step father got it working. He has been playing it for the past 3 hours. Currently my mother is still sitting beside me now with a weird smile on her face. She hasn’t said anything and hasn’t even touched her tea.

I’m beyond freaked the fuck out right now and I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to go in the basement alone and to be honest I just don’t even want to be here right now.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON? What the fuck should I do?



Submitted April 29, 2016 at 02:51AM by thebatswing http://ift.tt/1rD7Jq5 nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment