Monday, April 25, 2016

3 experiences that failed to make me a believer Paranormal

Hello! I've posted a time or two here about a ghost tour I went on, but other than that I don't believe I've shared any of my experiences, especially since some of them have happened rather recently. I stay a skeptic, but you might be wondering why I call myself a medium then. A quick explanation on that is that I am a shamanic practitioner and medium is the closest flair, being that I didn't want to use 'other'. I certainly believe that spirits are contactable but the way shamanism handles that is slightly different than the classic definition of paranormal. Plus, when you close your eyes, it's easier to believe that non-physical things are real. The following experiences occurred when i was extremely grounded in the physical world, usually focused on doing something adulty. Warning, this may be long a post!

The earliest experience I had was about 4 years ago. I had just graduated college and moved down to Austin. Had a cushy entry level job and a decent apartment. One of my college friends wanted to come down and get a job at the same place I was working, so I offered to let him stay in my apartment (it's a 1 bedroom). When I moved in initially, all I had was what was in my pickup truck; all of my stuff from college. I didn't have a bed or really any furniture. I put an air mattress down in the living room and just lived on it for months. My bedroom had boxes and stuff and I was living mainly in the living room. So when my friend came down to live with me, I cleaned everything up and fully unpacked. Got a bed and some furniture and started sleeping in the bedroom every night. A few months and a lot of drama later, my friend was angrily moving into his own unit in the same complex. Due to the stress leading up to him leaving and the stress of him leaving, I took it easy at work and ended up reading /r/nosleep's top rated posts of all time instead of working the whole day. I probably got through about 10-15 stories by the end of the day and they were all sufficiently creepy. When I got home, I realized this would be the first night I had ever slept in the bedroom in my apartment when no one else lived in the unit. I think a mixture of all the horror stories I read, the stress from the drama, and the stress of being alone in the apartment for the first time in a new room all combined to create a very suggestive mentality/mood. For some reason I decided to sleep with the door closed, probably out of fear. I think if I had left it open (and maybe I did, my memory isn't good on the specific details like that) I might have felt more at ease. I tried to go to sleep that evening but had some real troubles with hearing noises out in the living room and kitchen. I think I was particularly affected by a story about some sort of demon/entity living in the oven of someone's apartment, feeding off the energy that the heat/fire created, and that is probably what fueled most of it. I heard more noise than I thought was possible out there, clanking maybe, breathing, and a variety of other things. I believe I was in a half-awake state at this point, which further reinforces that it was a figment of my imagination. Apartments make noise too (something i've come to terms with) not just from the refrigerator, but from the other units nearby, and in my case a busy 4 lane thoroughfare and it's connection to Mopac (for those who have lived in Austin/North Austin I was at Wells Branch Pkwy and Mopac when I lived in that apartment) so there was the possibility for any variety of car noises and middle of the night pedestrian traffic. I chalk this experience up wholly to being half awake and stressed out, but it terrified me the whole night thinking something was out there but being far too paralyzed by my fear to check it out.

My second experience was from the ghost tour I mentioned above. There were quite a few things there that were questionable, however during the whole tour I never felt like there was anything special going on, and I think I was in the same suggestable state as the first story due to the context (ghost hunt). The experience I'm unsure about was using a voice box (I forget if that's what they're called, maybe has a different name but it's a very common ghost hunting tool). We were sitting in the main theater of the Everett historic theater north of Seattle and the box was on the stage. People had been up on stage before to set a ball for a child ghost to play with (they claimed it moved on it's own, but I didn't see it and also could've totally been a draft) but there was no one up there while we were listening. It mostly had a lot of static on the box but I heard a little girl say "Hello", completely cutting the static out. This happened twice more for a total of 3 "hellos" that I heard from the same voice. Now anyone familiar with the voice box I'm talking about will know that it sometimes picks up radio frequencies. I think it's possible what I heard was a radio frequency, but it is a little odd that it repeated the same word 3 times with the same voice. This remains the most questionable of my experiences. If I were to believe any of them it'd probably be this one as I didn't find sufficient evidence one way or the other about the validity of the voice. Since hearing it, I've wondered how easy it is to mess with one of those voice boxes. In the noughties (00s decade) we had this little device you could use with your phone or walkman or whatever that let you set a frequency to broadcast your media on within a small range (multiple cars on the highway could listen in if they were close to you I think). We'd use it when there was no way to plug our music into the car speakers, we'd just use the radio. It'd be easy to fake the voice I heard if you had a recording of someone saying it and knew which frequency to use. I've already feel that the ghost hunt proprietors were a little fishy/pushing paranormal experiences on us that didn't really happen, so it really wouldn't surprise me if someone DID do this. I can go through all of the experiences I had on that ghost tour at some point if anyone is interested.

The last and much shorter story happened at my place of work less than a year ago. The bathroom that is closest to where my desk was, is at the end point of the wing we all sit in. Basically if you entered from outside, you'd come up on an external door, go into a stairway vestibule that goes up to the second floor, and there's another door right across from where you entered that if you open leads into a narrow 10 ft passby that has the bathroom doors embedded. You can go left or right and almost immediately be on one side or another of the office. So if you were coming from my desk, you walk around one of these little corners and you can see part of the kitchenette across the little hallways, and to your left is the indent with the bathrooms, to your right the door to the outside. To further describe the bathroom door indent, it's like a section of wall about 3ft across was removed, there are 2 water fountains in the middle, and then on the sides of the indent are each door to the bathroom. The men's bathroom is the one you can see the door of when you come around the corner from my desk. Okay so with that setup out of the way, here's the brief experience: Needed to use the bathroom at work so I left my desk and headed toward these bathrooms I've described. It was normal business hours so there were plenty of my coworkers milling around doing various things. As I got close to the bathrooms I ended up following someone else that was headed that way, just the way things worked out. He was probably about 5ft in front of me and turns the corner to the bathrooms a few seconds before me. When I turn the corner, I see him entering the men's bathroom very clearly. The door shuts by the time I get there, so I open it and go in... and the bathroom is dead silent and empty. I know for sure I saw someone, but looking back on it I couldn't identify who it was. Usually that would be no problem, even from the back. Hairstyle, posture, gait, etc. all help me identify people, and when I think back to this person, I had no clue who he was. Nothing about him when he was walking in front of me made me think I knew him.

At any rate, those are the experiences I've had while firmly planted in physical reality. I have plenty of experiences from shamanic journeying, and would be open to sharing some of them, but some of that material is meant to stay private thanks to the wishes of the entities/thoughtforms/spirits that i encountered. I hope you enjoyed :)



Submitted April 26, 2016 at 02:24AM by severn http://ift.tt/1MTSd2L Paranormal

No comments:

Post a Comment