Saturday, April 30, 2016

Help understanding all the home automation options? homeautomation

My head is spinning from all the apparent different standard/protocols for home automation. I'm moving into a new home in a few months and would like to get into home automation.

My goal is to have the lights, thermostat, garage door openers, motion detectors, and cameras all controlled by the same system. I see all these various protocols like Zigbee, Z-wave, Insteon, SmartThings, Homekit etc etc.. some devices seem to be compatible with multiple.

What would you guys recommend going with to try to unify all my home automation devices into one, but still get some of the better products/devices?

For lights, I was thinking of getting smart switches, since the house has a lot of grouped recess lighting and I still want to be able to control it in a normal switch fashion.

For thermostat, looking at Ecobee3 or Nest3.

And what about future integration for things like washer/dryer, refrigerator, spa? Are we in an early period of home automation where we have to gamble on which standard will eventually win out? Like the video media formats? Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!



Submitted May 01, 2016 at 10:01AM by Tsyndr http://ift.tt/1X0ZNdS homeautomation

No comments:

Post a Comment