Friday, April 29, 2016

The pretty green cable talesfromtechsupport

Today started off with an unusual feeling, one that knows something is going to go down.

Now I work for a company that has stores and is the core business, however I do not work for the stores, I support the people that make the money flow in and out of the Business.

So I was asked to visit a store to find out 2 devices and some information about the wireless network at a store, I'm not really meant to work in the stores however my state does things differently.

So I head out the store for a few hours and to try find out what these devices are and there wireless infrastructure. The last thing we had to find out what is on $PortX on $switchY, It had data flow but no mac address, then suddenly an old access point fired up after we re-patched it, sweet after 1 hour its only a old access point. So unpatch the pretty green ethernet cable and head back to the office, after all it's 1.30pm and I haven't had lunch yet.

Now its 4.30pm (Friday) I'm getting ready to head home and then I get a call. (We all love the 4.30pm Friday calls)

person on the phone ($POP)

$POP Hi Ziogref, did you unpatch anything today while you were at $store?

$Me Yeah I unpatched $PortX on $SwitchY that lead to $PatchPortZ

$POP in English please?

my bad thought it was a tech not a Fridge Mechanic

$Me Oh sorry, I unpatched 1 device why?

$POP well the monitoring devices for the refrigeration units have gone offline

The refrigeration units take up a whole room and provide cool air for the store fridges and for the 3 walk in fridges for storage.

So I head back to the store, repatch the $PatchPortZ to $Port X, head down to the refrigerator room and sure enough the devices come back online.

From what I gathered up (and possibly the reason why there was no mac address, the network config was setup like this

$SwitchY --> $PatchPortZ --> Ethernet extender --> Switch --> link to 3 refrigerator monitors.

And I doubt the switch is a proper one.

Lesson, dont unpatch until you know for sure it is you are unpatching.



Submitted April 29, 2016 at 05:30PM by Ziogref http://ift.tt/1rEBln5 talesfromtechsupport

No comments:

Post a Comment