Saturday, April 30, 2016

Beer and Cigars Contest! - JFR Titan Maduro and Worthy Brewing Worthy IPA cigars

Review: JFR Maduro Titan and Worthy Brewing Worthy IPA

  • Cigar: JFR Maduro
  • Cigar size: 6 X 60
  • Vitola: Titan
  • Origin: Nicaragua
  • Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Maduro
  • Binder: Nicaraguan
  • Filler: Nicaraguan
  • Strength: Full
  • Price: Like 4 bucks ? I picked this bad boy up about 3 years ago.
  • Smoking Time: At 1.5 hours I was only half way through the cigar.
  • Drink Pairing: Wortht Brewing IPA. 6.9% Alcohol. 69 IBU.
  • Tunes: Birds and wind and stuff

Historical Documents:

Wrapper Description: The JFR maduro has a dark, rich, oily maduro wrapper. There are a few prominent veins in the wrapper, but under the sunlight the veins aren't noticable. The dark , oily wrapper glistens under the sunlight. This is a big cigar with stout construction. The filler is packed inside of the habano maduro wrapper and the cap is wound up in a pigs tail.

The IPA is wrapped in a Hop Green can with a lovely logo adorned by hops.

Don't let the boot glass fool you. There is 2 cans of beer in there. Boom.

Pre-Light: Cutting through the head took a little bit. As I mentioned, this cigar is of stout construction. The initial cold draw hinted at coffee, and a woodsy earthiness. There may be a little pepper in this cigar as well. The draw is easy which is surprising given how packed this cigar is with filler.

The IPA smells fruity, and has a nice golden color, although it is a bit cloudy. Dry Hopping? Oils?

Initial Thoughts:

The JFR produces a good amount of cool smoke. The predominant flavor is coffee and a bit of the woodsy flavor. There is a lingering salt and pepper note left on my tongue and lips.

The IPA has a classic Northwest hop profile to it. There is an initial hint of the fruitiness on the tip of the tongue that settles into a mellow bitter hoppiness on the back and sides of the tongue.

Coupling the cigar and the IPA together creates an interesting pair. The saltiness from the cigar lingers while the bitterness of the IPA is muted by the coffee from the cigar, leaving a creamy , nutty flavor that fades back into the bitterness from the IPA.

Continued Impressions:

20 minutes in and I have consumed a can of the IPA and I have only smoked an inch off of the cigar. Flavor wise, just more of the same from my initial thoughts. Even though I am outside, I can really smell the rich , sweet, coffee notes from the JFR. That being said. Between the IPA and this cigar, I don't think I will be tasting very much for the rest of the weekend.

Cautionary note. This son of a bitch cigar just ashed on my shirt and my laptop. Let it be known that the JFR Titan can't hold more than 1.5 inches of ash. -1 for ashing on my Inigo Montoya shirt. And for ashing on my Inigo Montoya shirt, the JFR must prepare to die.

Further Impressions:

On my second IPA, only 2.5 inches in on this cigar, and I think I have been here for about 45 minutes. I can barely taste anything. I can barely smell anything. I have the salt and coffee flavors from the cigar left and only the bitterness from the IPA. I still get that creamy consistency when I chase a puff with a quaff of the IPA. But I fear , soon, that is the only thing that will be left from this experiment. And I don't have enough IPA's to get through this cigar. I only had 3 IPA's in the fridge..... I. Only. Had. Three. I. P. A's. .....

More Impressions:

It's been hours now. The IPA is almost gone. I can't get more because I am fairly hammered and only now , have realized, that I am still only wearing underwear and my Inigo Montoya shirt. ( I thought the door to door sales chick was acting weird when I answered the door.) I thought that I could add to the IPA, enhance the IPA, create a pairing that would be a flavor bonanza. I was wrong. All that is here is the salt, and the bitterness, and this never ending cigar. My only solace is knowing that I have vanquished the IPA foe, and , if necessary, I can let this bastard cigar die a long, slow death in the ashtray. However, I am not ready to admit defeat! I have smoked this son of a bitch to the half way point, and there may be changes ahead.

Second Half Impressions:

Wow. Both the cigar and I are getting our second winds. The IPA hasn't fared as well. There isn't much left and if I am going to conquer this cigar I will have to switch to something else to drink. Unfortunately, there is only Bourbon, Rum , and Vodka left in the Casa SmokeStack.... I may have to go with vodka and soda. The rum and bourbon will most certainly be ruined by this dastardly cigar.

And a diabolical , sand bagging, son of a bitch this cigar is.... I thought the IPA won. Newp. No way. Nuh uh.... In the second half of this cigar the earth and the coffee are back with a vengance. I get cedar, and more black pepper. And the smoke... so much smoke. I can smell again.... and the scent of milky coffee, and anger fills the air. A young couple was next door looking at the house that was for sale and I heard the young lady exclaim , "Dear Lord! What is that intoxicatingly heinous smell?" ..... I think she was talking about the cigar, but I haven't showered yet.... so that may be the SmokeStack.

I am fairly certain I am drunk, Impressions:

Sweet baby jesus. This cigar is a monster. It beat the IPA, it's close to beating me. I feel like I am high. I should not have attempted this endeavor with the hopes that I would be able to accomplish anything else today.

But, onto the important things. The IPA is still bitter. That fruity stuff is all gone. The cigar is cruel and angry..... just coffee and pepper. And frankly, I am fine with all of that. It's just, on such a lovely day, I should have chosen something lighter, happier.... every time I take a puff from this cigar, I feel like I am walking into Mordor. And , you know what else? No Club Soda. Not an ounce in the Casa! It's like I wasn't even a Boy Scout. Fracking Hell, I need to prepare for this better next time.

A Cry For Help ... Impressions:

It's been over 2 hours. The cigar still perciveres. There is coffee, and pepper, and cedar, and smoke, and pain. My sinus bits tried to close. I took the proactive action to shove a saline up in them..... but at what cost? This cigar is a demon. It has out lived the IPA. And it's strength continues to grow. I went in search of hydration, and do you know what I found? Locked away in the other refrigerator.... more beer. Red Ale. This cigar, it taunts you, then guides you to bad decisions. I know what you are thinking ... STACK! Stay away from the beer ! Douse that confounded cigar! It will only bring you sorrow.

And I agree. That is why I filled a cup with Coke Zero Cherry and Sailor Jerry Rum. Something sweet , I reasoned. That is the ticket. The ticket away from all of this bitter , peppery pain. But, I hedged my bet. I tossed in an ice cube shaped like a 20 sided dice. I rolled a to make the pain go away, and I rolled a critical. I think I will get through this fellow /r/cigar 'ians........

Lessons Learned: It's 2.5 hours since I started, and the cigar is still here. So..... IPA and Strong cigars... Don't do it. I mean.... Coke Zero Cherry and Sailor Jerry? Who does that except for a man desperate to rid himself of the horror of a beast of a cigar and the lingering distruction of a moderatly bitter IPA? Don't . Do . It. ** Overall Impression:**

Score: The displaced Texan judge gives it an 7/10. Inexpensive. Produces good smoke. Amazing smoking time. Standard maduro profile. Excellent construction. Lacks complexity ( perhaps it does and I can't taste it because of the IPA ). Can't hold ash and tried to kill my Inigo Montoya.

Now if you'll excuse me. I have to return some video tapes.



Submitted May 01, 2016 at 03:34AM by CommanderSmokeStack http://ift.tt/1r6PTLe cigars

No comments:

Post a Comment