Friday, April 29, 2016

Weird experiences as a restaurant/hotel chef nosleep

Hey there reddit, I recently read a bunch of stories from a park ranger and it made me think about how I have a couple strange stories from within my profession. I'm nothing fancy, just a chef in a relatively nice hotel in my town but a couple of weird things have happened in several restaurants I've worked in. Maybe you'll be interested in hearing some or be able to make sense of some?

Anyway, here goes nothing. This first thing happened when I was living in Oregon about 4 years ago. I had just accepted a job at a hotel as a sous chef. The hotel had just recently been built and for whatever reason the walk in freezer was the last part of the kitchen to be completed. Several different contractors would start to work on it but then quickly stop, not wanting to spend a lot of time in there; they didn't even seem to want to be around the restaurant in general. Nobody was really sure why (not sure why the people that hired the contractors didn't really implore further) and the contractors didn't really explain why. Anybody who wasn't a guest or employee seemed to act skiddish or anxious while there.

Fast forward a month or two and the freezer was finally all built and operable. Good timing because we were to cater the services for a couple of the contractors who had finished up work on our freezer. The man and woman died shortly after finishing, I think it was under strange circumstances like carbon monoxide poisoning in their garage or something.

Anyway, back to the weird thing with our freezer. It was about March or so when this happened. A young girl was just hired to help in the kitchen. She was working toward being a pastry chef for the restaurant but first she had to just get her foot in the door. I liked her. She was really serious in the kitchen but she was really cool elsewhere - it's good to be able to switch like that.

One night we had somewhat of a rush before closing. If I remember correctly we closed at 9 or 10. I had relocated to the bakery/dessert station for the remainder of the night since dinner wasn't being served anymore, and I had invited her to join me so she could learn a little and I could assess her skills. We were the only employees still there that night - slow night so I let a couple people go home. We had to make about 20 mousse desserts and then we were done for the night. I showed her how to make them, watched her make a few, and then went to the dining room to talk to a few customers. I returned maybe 15 minutes later and all of the desserts were made, and they looked rather good. She was nowhere to be seen, so I took the desserts out to customers and promptly returned to shut down the kitchen for the night.

About ten minutes later, I was basically done in the kitchen and just had to check the temperatures of the refrigerator and freezer. I hadn't seen my employee in this time but I didn't think much of it. I found her in the freezer. She was on the floor, under the bottom rack in the fetal position. Something made me not even call her name or really investigate, I just quickly tried to pull her out from under there. Her body was already ice cold and blue, like she'd been in there for hours or days. Even though I last saw her about 30 minutes prior, she had undoubtedly already passed away. I called 911, told them everything and had them go to the main office to check security tapes. They also talked to some of the customers, as I was obviously a suspect since we were the only two employees there. Upon investigating tapes, they decided she had just quickly entered the freezer, and laid down on the floor on her own. The officers there seemed to want to get the case taken care of as quickly as possible and leave. EMTs noted that it seemed she was in there for "at least two days" - her internal body temperature was very low and her eyes had basically frosted over or something. I don't remember how they determined her time of death, but it was really rushed and they quickly determined it a suicide. I don't think there was an autopsy for some reason. Not many people were notified of the death, and after the restaurant being closed for just a few days it was reopened like nothing had happened. I still think of her sometimes and wonder what exactly happened.

Anyway, sorry about that wall of text. Maybe somebody out there will think it was odd like I did? I haven't tried much to make sense of it, it was easier to avoid thinking about it while working in that kitchen. Like I said, a couple other strange things happened in the kitchen and throughout the hotel.

Let me know if anybody wants to hear more or if anybody has any similar stories.



Submitted April 29, 2016 at 03:38PM by nevryedecihon http://ift.tt/1QEF7RA nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment