Monday, April 25, 2016

I'm 19 years old with black mold halfway up four of the walls and no health insurance. Should I give up on the idea of being healthy? AskDocs

I'm a 19 year old male who grew up in California in a house with trash, dirty laundry, broken furniture and newspaper stacked to the ceiling. My mother has been a hoarder since at least 1988 which I don't want to go into too much here. In my freshman year of high school, I started losing my hair and experiencing symptoms I now know are because of black mold. I got a job stocking groceries the day after graduation and then quit two months later because I could no longer keep up my hygiene because the hose outside wouldn't put out more than a slow drip. Since then, I've probably left the house about five times because I've never had a friend or anything that I would need to go outside for. I was always warned not to try to clean the house because my mother doesn't like her things thrown out but about a month ago, I finally got sick of it and started clearing everything out of the area next to the kitchen and found that the wall next to the refrigerator was covered in thick, gooey black mold. I researched it and found that it led to things like cancer, balding and the hibernating that I did all throughout high school. I continued to find that the newspaper, cardboard, laundry etc. that had covered the kitchen floor for years was black and muddy with mold. The refrigerator had been leaking from the rear for years and now the mold was up that wall, the one next to it and the two bathroom walls that had the toilet, the sink and the tub on it. Today, after more than a month of taking things out into the yard and putting trash in trash bags, laundry in laundry bags, mail in mail bins and newspaper in newspaper bins, the house almost looks normal. Now, I'm left with just about everything that black mold can do to you and because my life has never had order in it and I've lived my life as less of a person and more of an object that takes up space and eats my mother's food, I never got my affairs in order enough to even think about health insurance. I'm not trying to blame anybody else for my mistakes. I know I should have been more responsible. As you probably guessed, my mother isn't interested in getting rid of the mold in her home so soon I'll be moving out onto the street where I'll be safe from breathing it in but the problem is I'll still be left with my body. I've read that most physicians aren't familiar enough with mold exposure to treat its residual effects so I would need to go to someone in Los Angeles who specializes in environmental medicine. So I'd like to ask if I have any hope of getting treatment. If not, is the life of sickness I have ahead of me worth living or would suicide be my best course of action?



Submitted April 26, 2016 at 08:53AM by 72649 http://ift.tt/1YR8LZD AskDocs

No comments:

Post a Comment