Monday, August 3, 2015

Renovating kitchen- Question about electrical wiring HomeImprovement

My house was built in the late 40's. I am tearing the kitchen out to the studs before I update it. My question is about countertop and refrigerator outlets. Currently, I have:

1) Microwave outlet- (20 amps)

2) Two outlets above the countertop (both on 15 amps circuits- one is a dedicated circuit, while the other is possibly tied in with other outlets)

3) Refrigerator outlet (I believe it is 15 amps, but not certain- probably not a dedicated circuit)

I've never had a problem running appliances with my current setup. My question is whether I am 1) obligated to upgrade the circuits to the current new-construction standards (20 amp circuits and dedicated circuit for fridge) since I am removing everything down to the studs, or, 2) whether it is a good reason to do so even if it is not mandatory?

In truth, I'd rather not run new cables, and I don't even know if it is possible without a tremendous hassle, or even feasible period, as both a countertop outlet and fridge outlet might already be tied into other circuits leading to other rooms.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. THanks!

They are currently 15 amp services, and at the moment



Submitted August 03, 2015 at 07:53PM by lakelandman http://ift.tt/1N4nBXo HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment