Monday, August 31, 2015

I have a broken kegerator... want to salvage it to make a fermentation chamber. Any suggestions? Homebrewing

Got burned on a used commercial kegerator a few weeks ago.. Lesson learned: don't buy homebrew equipment from non-homebrewers on craigslist, they are usually just trying to get rid of it and don't care about your satisfaction. In the end, I think it worked out for the better, since I got a great deal on an awesome half sized refrigerator, and I've gutted the kegerator so that I can convert it without having to pick up any more equipment. This brings me to the torn apart kegerator sitting in my living room. I would like to "use every part of the kill," so to speak, so I was thinking I could use the insulated shell of it to build a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. My apartment has no A/C and gets really hot, so I need to figure this out anyways... this seems like it might be a good way to solve the problem. Since the cooling unit itself is shot, I need to figure out a way to keep the inside cool, preferably in the most cost effective way possible. I don't think the swamp cooler method would work very well in this situation, since its a closed system. The only other simple solution I can think of is to stock it with ice packs every day, but this is a bit inconvenient, and I think I would need quite a few to counteract the heat given off from fermentation. I'd be willing to sing a little bit of money into this, but if it isn't going to be a good solution, I might as well just buy a fermwrap or something similar. Anyone have any suggestions?



Submitted September 01, 2015 at 06:21AM by FuckYouCaptainTom http://ift.tt/1ExaMW5 Homebrewing

No comments:

Post a Comment