Thursday, August 27, 2015

I have been without a kitchen for three months while insurance companies fight over who's going to pay! offmychest

I was THRILLED to have purchased my first home on March. In June, my condo neighbor decided to call out a plumber to fix a clog in our shared plumbing without my knowledge. The plumber tells the neighbor he doesn't want to do the work, because it's likely he will snake through the drain. The neighbor tells him to do it anyway, and he will take liability. Lo and behold, the plumber snaked through the drain. This happened while I was at school. When I got home, my kitchen was flooded with drain water (the drain was over my kitchen ceiling). My kitchen is now studs and has been for quite some time. We are eating every meal out. I'm floating a lot of debt on my credit cards. My living room is full of boxes and bags filled with kitchen things. Even my refrigerator is in my living room. I haven't been able to enjoy my space since the incident happened.

We are stuck in this situation because nobody wants to pay to fix my kitchen. My neighbor thinks the plumber is liable. The plumber thinks the neighbor is liable. My homeowner's insurance says that the condo HOA's insurance is liable. The condo HOA has refused to file a claim stating that they are not liable. My homeowner's insurance company told me that they would pay for my food costs if I kept receipts. I sent them receipts last week, and they told me my costs were unreasonable because they were so much higher than my normal costs. Of course they were! I am a poor grad student single mother who mostly eats tofu or chicken and vegetables at home! It is expensive to eat fresh and clean vegetables out. I'm not going to feed my almost three year old son garbage, especially not for three months straight!

But, wait, there's more! I have to move for work. I needed to put my condo on the market last month. My funding here runs out in October, and I might not even have a functional kitchen by then in order to rent out my condo. I finally filed a civil warrant for everyone involved a few weeks ago and set a court date for late September. I want to get everyone together in a room and let a judge decide who needs to pay what. And today I got a call from a lawyer from one of the companies saying that they can't make the court date and need to push it back a month. So I'm potentially looking at a minimum of six months without a kitchen! And I can't just take out a loan to fix the kitchen, because I'm not sure how much money I'm going to receive in the end to fix this. My explicative neighbor made one bad decision without my consent, and I've been out out of my home for months! Aaaargh!!!!



Submitted August 28, 2015 at 12:06PM by stayloggedin http://ift.tt/1Inqwpz offmychest

No comments:

Post a Comment