Thursday, August 27, 2015

Tips for converting a chest freezer to a curing chamber? CuringChamber

I'm quite familiar with the concept of converting a refrigerator to a curing chamber, but I would love to have your opinions on converting a chest freezer. I have a chest already available to me, and I like the idea of using it instead of a fridge (it's bigger, and easier to get into).

The main challenges I see are the following:

  • air circulation: Freezers have notoriously poor air circulation. Shouldn't be a problem with a fan in there.

  • condensation: Freezers build up a thick layer of frost because of the high condensation.

  • racking/hanging: Not the easiest beasts to install hanging racks in.

So, here's what I'm thinking. Same setup as a refrigerator conversion (temperature and humidity controller, humidifier, fan, hygrometer) except I would use a de-humidifier instead of a humidifier. If (for some reason) I needed to up the humidity I could just put a bowl of water in there. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Anyone have any experience?

Haven't though much about the racking either. Thoughts?

Cheers.



Submitted August 27, 2015 at 09:35PM by catkini http://ift.tt/1El3VPe CuringChamber

No comments:

Post a Comment