Sunday, August 30, 2015

Help with semi-operative stove/range DIY

Since losing power yesterday and having it restored last night, my electric oven + cooktop (range) has been acting funny. I have found a lot of information about what to do if a range is not working at all- replacing fuses, heating elements, etc. - but there seems to be nothing out there for my particular problem: My stovetop and oven are both working, BUT not to their full capacity. I have a frigidaire oven with a glass cooktop with the coil burners underneath the glass. The stovetop heats weakly, but not as hot as it should and I can even see it's not glowing as brightly as it should (we tried to boil water and after an hour, it was just sort of barely beginning to bubble). The oven, meanwhile, gets warm/hot but the heating element is not glowing as it usually does. It's like the whole system is receiving half-power.

I've been scouring the web looking for a solution, and no one seems to have this particular problem of half-working. Most problems/solutions involve stoves with errors, heating elements not working at all, blown fuses, etc. I've reset the breaker, very slowly, multiple times, to no effect.

I called the utility and reported the problem just in case there's something going on their end (this problem only started after losing and regaining power), but we don't have any flickering or dimmed lights (no incandescent bulbs though, so it's hard to tell) and our refrigerator and computers seem to work fine. Is it possible the electrical outlet was damaged, and is only providing half power? Does it sound like a problem with the unit itself? It seems like the stove should either not work at all, or work completely, so I feel I'm stuck in repair purgatory...

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!



Submitted August 31, 2015 at 01:02AM by ajc89 http://ift.tt/1IwjC1j DIY

1 comment:

  1. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Viking, Dacor, NXR, Wolf STOVE AND RANGE REPAIR IN CHINO

    ReplyDelete