Thursday, August 27, 2015

No time, no reheating, no table. How can I eat well on the go? EatCheapAndHealthy

See bottom for TL;DR

 

So here's my situation. I work 60 hours a week at a job that has unpredictable hours. I work in different places and locations, so knowing when I'll eat where and at what time is very difficult to predict. When I do eat, the food needs to be cheap with as little prep time as possible and easy to carry around. The people in my family have pretty restrictive diets, no meat, limited veggies, certain fruits etc. And although I am not inhibited by these restrictions, buying food and using it before it rots is very difficult when you are the only one eating it as most stores sell things in sizes meant for groups or with much larger appetites than me.

The way I have been dealing with this so far is by basically eating pre-packaged food such as granola bars, or things that need no prep like apples, etc. I never know what utensils I will have available to me when I eat and so things you eat with your hands is also a big plus. However, the food that usually falls into the no-prep eat with your hands category is usually pretty bad for your body. Although most would view granola bars and apples as healthy, little debbie's brownies, swiss cake roles, doughnuts, french fries, and slurpees usually aren't considered to be a part of that classification.

I want to eat healthy, but my work week doesn't much lend itself to making batches every week either as I work around 60 hours a week, not including commute time. My meal schedule isn't regular and so I don't usually eat with my family and can't depend on them for meals. They also won't cook batches of things they can't eat, which I respect and find justifiable, however, what they can eat is so limited that it isn't easy to make things that they will eat in large quantities. On top of this I personally don't enjoy eating and have to take a medicine daily that has a side effect that makes you less hungry.

Admittedly sometimes(unpredictably) I do have time for a "regular lunch", but it is nearly impossible for me to convince myself to stop working long enough when I do have time to eat a normal sized meal that I know I will first have to go buy or scrounge up for myself.

TL;DR

My question is this; How can somebody who doesn't have the time to cook, the convenience of microwaves, the reliability of a refrigerator, or the ability to sit at a table stay healthy for a reasonable price?

So far I haven't found many good solutions so any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated. I really don't have any food preferences or restrictions so don't let that stop you from making a suggestion.



Submitted August 27, 2015 at 03:50PM by barely-there http://ift.tt/1KmyAwP EatCheapAndHealthy

No comments:

Post a Comment