Friday, January 27, 2017

Extreme tooth sensitivity after teeth cleaning & fillings Dentistry

Tl;dr - Experiencing extreme tooth sensitivity suddenly one month after deep cleaning (scaling & planing) and fillings. No relief from Sensodyne.

In August, I went to the dentist for the first time in about 8 years. I waited so long because I suck, but also because I've never experienced any issues with my teeth. I brush and floss daily and never remember in my life experiencing any tooth pain or sensitivity. My wisdom teeth are fully erupted and my teeth aren't crowded.

I went for a check up and I had 5 cavities, 4 new and 1 was an old filling that needed repair. The dentist also recommended I have a deep cleaning performed. Over the course of two consecutive visits I had my deep cleanings and the 5 fillings done. I had a great experience both times and my teeth felt fine, even weeks afterward. One morning about a month after my last appointment, I was drinking my coffee and I noticed extreme tooth pain/sensitivity. The sensitivity continued that day in response to any hot or cold. As I said, this was about one month after my final appointment for fillings and about two months after my first filling appointment. Until that morning, my teeth had been completely normal.

I have been experiencing this extreme sensitivity for two months now. I have used Sensodyne and Crest Sensi-Repair. They seem to help a little bit, but I still can't drink hot or cold beverages without wincing. My teeth also seem to be sensitive to sweet foods. The sensitivity is not stemming from the filling locations. It is coming from several of my back teeth, on both top and bottom. I understand that tooth sensitivity is a common problem, but I am curious why it came out of nowhere. It seems unfair that I go to the dentist after 8 years being pain-free and then have this arise afterward. Again, it did not start immediately after my appointments but months afterwards.

The sensitivity is affecting my life now. I consciously avoid cold foods right out of the refrigerator. I have to let my coffee get lukewarm before I can drink it, same with cold drinks. My friends and family have noticed me wincing and asked about it. I would be so grateful for any information on the cause or any tips on a solution.



Submitted January 28, 2017 at 07:14AM by Ilovescout http://ift.tt/2kbWLak Dentistry

No comments:

Post a Comment