Friday, January 27, 2017

Creepy eyes and a pacifier LetsNotMeet

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a story that belongs here.

For my Sophomore year of college in 2003 three friends and I decided to move into an apartment off of campus. It proved to be cheaper housing, was still within walking distance and the apartments were pretty nice.

Ours was a two bedroom, two bathroom units- we had bunk beds in the two bedrooms. My friend Maria and I shared one room and Destiny and Evonne shared the other. Life was pretty good: we were a bunch of 19-year-olds living hours from our "homes" and family members and in a nice apartment.

Not long after moving in to the apartment we met Katie, a girl who lived in a different apartment on the same floor as us. She lived in a 3-person unit with her boyfriend Kevin and their roommate Derek. Both Kevin and Derek were older- Kevin only a year older at 20 and Derek at 28.

The four of us girls in my apartment immediately befriended Katie. .and it didn't hurt that her roommate was old enough to buy us alcohol. My roommate Maria, myself and Katie got particularly close and Katie often invited us over to her apartment to hang out, watch movies, for dinner and so on.

Derek, the third-wheel roommate, was an odd character. He was older so he talked down to Katie and her friends often. Almost liked to make it seem like he was educating us every chance he got simply because he was older. He wasn't terribly bad looking but he did have what can only be described as "creepy eyes".

The best way I can describe them is exactly like actor Judge Reinhold's eyes in the sense that they were buggy but..they also never focused. He couldn't look anyone in the eye or at anything for more than a split second. Constantly dodged around. He would always sit quietly without contributing much to our conversations...but he would still sit there simply leering at us girls.

His backstory was that he started college at 18 but then dropped out after his Freshman year. He moved back in with his parents and did menial, side jobs for awhile before "getting his life together" and deciding to go back to college as a Sophomore at 28. He chose to live off campus in the apartment building (which was actually owned by the school). He was randomly placed in the 2nd bedroom of Katie and Kevin's apartment.

At this point, they had only known him for about 3 weeks or so. Katie described him as, "nice enough, just a little strange." Myself and my roommates were all a bit weary of him but shrugged those feelings off- we remained cordial. Plus, he offered to buy us beer whenever we wanted- told us we only needed to ask.

A week before Halloween, Katie informed my roommates and I that was they were going to be hosting a "blacklight Halloween party". They had purchased black lights and weird, psychedelic posters and decorations from somewhere and were planning on inviting quite a few people. Kevin was on the University's wrestling team so she said all of those guys would be there (and most of them were cute as fuck). A group of her girlfriends from where she was from in the next state over were also going to be making the trip for the party and she really wanted Maria, Destiny, Evonne and myself to meet them.

With no other plans set in stone this sounded like a good Halloween option: a party a few doors down meant not having to go out in the cold (it was a relatively cold October for our area) and there was less of a chance of us getting in trouble for underage drinking. Sounded good to all four of us.

The night of the party all four of us got ready excitedly. Yvonne and I had decided to dress as "biker babes": which basically meant Harley shirts rolled up to show off our flat bellies (miss those days a bit), shirt denim cutoff shorts, fishnet stockings under them and high-legged black leather boots. Right before heading down the hall to the party I rummaged through my jewelry box trying to find some "biker" looking accessories. I had the perfect bracelet: my Grandfather had passed away a few years prior and I was given one of about 3 of 4 black, leather bracelets he had owned.

My grandfather had been an actual biker himself and used to wear those bracelets often, so when I was given one of those it really meant a lot to me. A big part of me thought, as I was putting it on, "meh, maybe I shouldn't wear this? I don't want to lose it." My roommate Maria noticed me kind of stopping before putting it on and asked me where I got it. I explained the whole bracelet backstory to her before finally deciding (with twisted, 19-year-old-logic) that my Pap would want me to enjoy that bracelet and that it was meant to be worn with an outfit or costume like the one I had on. We walked out together as a group.

First thing I noticed upon arriving to the party was that it was PACKED. The apartments weren't very large to begin with, but word of the party traveled fast/far and the common space of the living room/dining room/kitchen was nearly full. Second thing I noticed was that the lighting wasn't great. It was relatively dark because Katie, Kevin and Derek were only using the black lights and the dim light over the oven. That light provides enough light for people to make their drinks or grab a cup of "jungle juice" (booze infused fruit punch) on the kitchen counter. We made our way to the jungle juice, grabbed cups and I filled each of our 4 cups. We set out to go mingle as a guy my roommate Destiny had a crush on was across the living room near the sliding-glass balcony doors.

People were dancing. Some were already drunk. There was hooting and hollering, loud conversations, singing..everyone seemed to be having a good time. Walking through the crowd was tricky- I held my full cup of booze close to my chest and tried my best to follow my friends across the room without spilling any on myself or anyone else. I'm making my way across the room when someone taps me on the shoulder from behind. I turn slightly and see Derek dressed in a long black robe with a hood.

"Hey. Glad you made it", he kind of stammered

"Oh ah, yea. We just got here." I replied

"Good." He answered abruptly.

At this point he turned around and started walking back in the direction of the kitchen. I turn back around and follow my friends to the small area they've convened in near my friends crush and some of the other wrestlers. I took a large gulp of my drink. To deal with this party atmosphere I figured I needed to catch up a little bit.

So we're standing there talking (mainly to each other), sipping on our drinks. Within about 5 minutes..I started feeling "funny". Not funny like I was getting drunk; funny like I felt like I was going to vomit. Now I'm in no way proud to explain that drinking was something I did very, very regularly from pretty much the day I went to college. By this point I was no lightweight and I could typically drink about 6 beers before feeling anything at all. So when I started feeling weird I "knew" it wasn't the few gulps of jungle juice I had consumed. We had only been at the party maybe 15-20 minutes at that point. I knew I didn't feel right and the urge to puke started creeping up on me more and more.

Not wanting to call attention to myself I quietly told just Maria that I didn't feel so good. She looked at me with a confused look but then reminded me that it could have been the day-old sushi I ate out of our refrigerator for dinner a few hours prior. I nodded my head, told her she was probably right. I told her I was going to go back to our apartment for a minute- their apartment only had one bathroom and I didn't want to hold up the line or be known as the girl tossing it up in the bathroom so early in the evening. Maria nodded her head. I forced a smile. Turned around. Literally pushed through the crowd to the door and then full on sprinted down the hallway to our apartment. Unlocked it. Ran to our bathroom.

Our bathroom was a bit of a weird set up. There was one in the main hallway that was considered Destiny and Evonne's bathroom. Then, in our bedroom there was a decent sized (long but not wide) walk-in closet. At the end of the closet there was a door and that door opened up to our own very small but full bathroom. Nevertheless, I had made my way to that bathroom after closing both the bathroom and closet door behind me. I felt so, so nauseous. I laid my head on the toilet seat..suddenly I started feeling out of it and tired. Like total shit.

I laid there for a minute when, suddenly, I heard a slight knocking. Real light tapping. I called out for Maria. Maria didn't reply: no one replied. At first I thought maybe I had just imagined that knock...but within what had to have been a few seconds the knock happened again.

At this point I had convinced myself that Maria was knocking outside to check on me. I used what little energy it felt like I had to get on my feet. Opened the bathroom door. Took a few steps through the closet. Without thinking, I flung open the closet door.

I wasn't prepared for what was on the other side.

There, standing in the middle of our bedroom was Derek. He was still wearing the long black robe (like the one from Scream) but it was opened in the front. He was completely naked under the robe. And he was furiously, intensely masturbating.

At first I thought he was punching himself in the stomach but it didn't take long to realize what he was actually doing. He had the most disturbed look on his face I've ever seen. His eyes were focused and staring directly at me. Like I said earlier, his eyes never focused on anything so this detail stood out to me almost as much as the masturbating.

I opened my mouth to scream but before I got anything out he yelled out in a deep voice that didn't sound like his own

"SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH DONT SAY ANYTHING. NOTHING!"

I was shocked. I remember pleading with him to stop doing what he was doing but he was not letting me get very many words out. Every time I said anything he let out this primal, guttural yell. It was shocking and frightening.

I panicked. To get to the bedroom door and out of the room I would need to get past him. I did a quick survey of the floor around where he was standing, the bed, my desk- I didn't see any weapons. Before I even knew what I was doing I was darting across the room in the direction of the door. I got passed him..but he grabbed me from behind by my waist. He physically threw me on to the bottom bunk bed, which was Maria's bed.

I kept thinking "Oh my god! I'm going to get raped! Or he's going to kill me! Or both!!" I started screaming bloody murder, at the very top of my lungs. Derek threw his hand over my mouth and put all of his body weight on top of me. I was panicking and felt the urge to vomit again. I can see him fumbling behind his back with something; his hand was wrapped around toward where his ass would be. What happened next is the part that will forever haunt me.

He pulled a baby's pacifier out with that hand, the other was still tightly covering my mouth. He had a terrifying expression on his face; it was a creepy smile. Then he said:

"You're going to suck on Daddy's ass plug and you are going to like every fucking second of it. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME BITCH?! Suck on my ASS BINKY!!!"

It suddenly occurred to me where he had been storing that pacifier and something in me seriously snapped. I started kicking, punching, fighting with everything in me. I was able to completely knock him off of the bed and on to the ground. Just as I get to my feet to run the fuck out of there the door swings open...

It's Maria and Katie both. The immediate look on their faces when they saw the look on mine is something I'll never forget. At this point Derek had gotten to his feet. The robe was still wide open exposing his..everything. All three of us started screaming, Katie went straight for Derek and pushed him hard. I was in hysterics, Maria later said she remembers me screaming "HE PULLED IT OUT OF HIS ASS!!" over and over again. Typing it out now it almost sounds humorous but I can assure you that at the time it was anything but funny.

Another unsettling detail: immediately when Katie pushed him the entire look on his face changed. His eyes got real wide and he started shaking his head back and forth really, really fast. Suddenly he started acting like he just woke up. He started acting confused. He looked down and quickly threw the robe over himself and then clenched it shut with his fist. He started saying things like "Where am I?" and "What the fuck is happening?" as he looked around the room. He had never been in our room before that night and was looking around almost quizzically. Katie was screaming at him demanding that he leave, I was screaming and crying, Maria was yelling. Katie screamed at him to leave, he left and she followed him out.

  • Maria and Katie had walked over to refill their drinks at the party and right on the counter Maria found the leather bracelet of my Pap's I had been wearing that night. It had to have fallen off when I was filling up everyone's drunk cups. Maria recognized it immediately as mine and mentioned that to katie. Katie asked where I was and Maria had explained I hadn't been feeling good and that I had gone back to our apartment. They then decided to quickly go together to quickly check on me and put the bracelet back in my jewelry box while they were there. That's why they came in when they did.

I couldn't be more thankful they decided to check on me and return the bracelet right then and there. As cheesy as it sounds I really think that was my Grandfather keeping me safe. If it hadn't been found by the right person then I wouldn't have gotten brought up and they probably wouldn't have come to the apartment to check on me when they did.

  • I know I'll catch flak for this but I didn't report what happened. Never went and got tested to see if I had been roofied or if I had actually had food poisoning. Didn't have any major bruises or injuries, thank god. My suspicion has always been that Derek popped something in my drink when he was following behind me closely as I made my way through the party with my girls and that he watched me walk out and followed shortly thereafter. I only drank a couple sips of that drink, didn't come close to finishing it before feeling sick.

I don't know- on the other hand my memories from that night were somewhat clear and I remember the incident till this day. Regardless..I was terrified of getting arrested for underage drinking and getting Katie in trouble for having the party..not to mention all of the others underage drinking there. I figured if I called the Cops then everyone would get in trouble. I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous but at the time..I had already gotten in trouble the year before and if I were to have gotten in trouble again my parents would have pulled me from school.

  • The morning immediately after this happened Derek left the apartment and didn't return, ever. He apparently packed up a few boxes in his bedroom the night of the party after returning to his apartment. Kevin had found out what had happened and he and another guy we knew confronted Derek as he was doing this. Derek told them he had to "go home" and that he sometimes has "blackouts". He told them that he can't control his blackouts and that they weren't alcohol induced blackouts but mental blackouts. He had only drank around 2-3 beers that night apparently; not enough to be blackout drunk. He had a car, he left in the morning before Kevin woke up and he never returned.

Kevin tried calling his phone the day after and he didn't answer. The following day Derek left Kevin a voice message saying that he was home and that he needed to get help. Told him he would call Kevin later to arrange pick up for some of his dishes and other stuff in the apartment but he never called back. There's obviously major pieces of the puzzle missing. Why had he left college in the first place way back and what had he done in the almost 10 years before he came back? He never opened up about his personal life to even Kevin and Katie. Never mentioned anyone other than his parents. Didn't seem to be on any type of regular medication while living in the apartment.

  • I felt physically, mentally and emotionally horrible for days afterwards so much that I laid on the living room couch for four days straight. Mentally and emotionally..man, that messed me up bad for awhile. Someone stayed with me at all times for awhile. I remained terrified that Derek would return to the complex until I moved out that Spring.

  • After this event.. I smartened up. It was a horrible, scary wake-up call for me in a twisted way. Stopped drinking as much. Started being way more serious about my studies. I still think about his terrifying eyes, that deep guttural screaming sometimes..it's still as scary now (14 years later) then it was at the time.

  • I have no idea what happened to Derek. Where he is. What he's doing now. No clue. I've never attempted to look him up because..why the fuck would I?

Derek, wherever you are: let's never meet again. Ever.



Submitted January 27, 2017 at 08:32PM by Scentmama1 http://ift.tt/2ka2QV0 LetsNotMeet

No comments:

Post a Comment