Monday, January 23, 2017

Root Beer Ice Cream Cooking

Occasionally, I'll make something that turns out better than expected that leaves me wondering why it's not more common. My experience this weekend was just that.

I had some leftover ingredients from making homemade root beer, so I decided to throw them together in a different way. I made ice cream!

(measurements are approximate) 1 cup sarsaparilla root 1/4 cup licorice root 1 tbsp dried wintergreen 1 vanilla bean 2 cups milk 2 cups heavy cream 1/2 tsp salt 1 cup sugar 2 tbsp molasses (1 cup brown sugar may work just as well as a substitute for the last two ingredients) Combine milk and cream. Place sarsaparilla root, licorice root, and wintergreen into milk mixture. Split and seed vanilla bean, placing both pod and seeds into milk mixture. Stir milk mixture well; most of the solids should sink. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. Remove from refrigerator and strain through fine sieve. Whisk in salt, sugar, and molasses. Place into your ice cream churn of choice and make it ice creamy! 

I don't typically share recipes on here, but this one was definitely a keeper. The only thing I'd try to adjust is the color. It just wasn't brown enough, but more of an off-white beige. Not unpleasant, but not root beer color.



Submitted January 24, 2017 at 02:40AM by Jough83 http://ift.tt/2kadYyH Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment