Saturday, January 28, 2017

Me [21F] with my cousin [21F]. How to help when she doesn't see the problem. relationships

There is a lot of background here so I will shorten it as much as possible.

My aunt and uncle were never great parents to my cousins. My cousins were home schooled for all of their schooling before high school before they were enrolled in the same school as me. They were constantly compared to me growing up and there was a lot of resentment.

Both of my cousins struggled once they got out of high school. The older one, Alison, had an especially hard time. The younger one, Addie, was always the golden child compared to Alison. Their parents, especially my uncle, pushed both girls into fields that they were not interested and they both failed out of technical school. They both now work, although both have a string of short-term jobs across the last 3 years.

Anyway, recently my aunt's behavior towards Alison has become far worse than it normally it. She gets mad at Alison for not doing a household chore correctly and punishes her by either taking her phone or threatening to kick her out of the house. Today, Alison had her phone taken away for not cleaning out the refrigerator "correctly" and she just got it back after convincing her mother it was for school. She was told once again that she would be kicked out if another mistake was made.

Alison and Addie's parents are currently having financial issues (whole another story about my uncle not getting paid and not trying to do anything about it). I originally thought that my aunt was just stressed until Alison told me that Addie was given $50 for a date with her boyfriend today. Alison also recently came out to her mother (against my advice), which may have contributed.

Essentially, I need help convincing Alison that she needs to get out of this horrible situation. I am having lunch with her tomorrow. She has always been so dismissive of her mother's behavior towards her as not being normal. My family is fully prepared to take her in and help her until my cousin graduates with her degree in 8 months. We had this discussion before, when my aunt threatened to throw her out earlier and Alison said she could survive 8 more months.

Please help me. I'm tired of seeing her get treated this way.

tldr: Aunt is treating my cousin horribly. I need to help convince her to get out.



Submitted January 29, 2017 at 08:45AM by AliceWonderGirl http://ift.tt/2jhI7zb relationships

No comments:

Post a Comment