Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I live in a house on a flood area that floods regularly and am trying to mitigate the damage as much as possible HomeImprovement

So, I live in a house that floods pretty regularly. I'd say once a month a get an inch of water across my whole ground floor. About once a year I get 3-6 inches. These are tide based floods, so it recedes pretty quickly.

While I know the only REAL solution is to pay $150,000 to raise it above the base flood elevation level. It'll take some time to put together the money for that.

Until then I am trying to find solutions so the cleanup will go 'easier' when the next flood comes around. Here are my ideas.

My outlets are already all raised high on the walls. I have a Projector mounted to the ceiling instead of having a TV with hanging wires. All floors are tile directly on the cement foundation.

I purchased plastic legs 6" legs for my couches and love seat that should raise them above water levels and I can wipe off after the flood passes.(I'm tall, so not an issue for seating)

I am looking into replacing my kitchen cabinets with outdoor 'stainless steel cabinets with legs instead of baseboards.

I will be installing wall ovens and stove top instead of a freestanding oven/stove combo and have already elevated my refrigerator.

I am going to go around and replace the bottom two feet of drywall and insulation with wonderboard, rigid foam insulation, plastic baseboards and will be painting the whole place with Zinsser mold and mildew resistant paint.

Am I missing anything?



Submitted January 31, 2017 at 10:27PM by Ridewithme38 http://ift.tt/2jR2BNP HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment