Sunday, January 29, 2017

Tried a basic speaker setup for the first time today. Comparison and thoughts versus current headphone setup. headphones

Background -- I've tried several headphone, amplifier, and DAC setups over the past six months. Last month, I finally settled on the Benchmark DAC1 and Sennheiser HD800 [stock].

I love the HD 800's, because they have really nice textured bass that extends a lot lower than the HD 600's. I wanted to add a little more bass, so I tried a Behringer Ultracurve Pro equalizer to increase the low end. Unfortunately, no matter how much I messed with the equalizer, the HD 800's never produced the bass that I wanted.

I was planning to buy the LCD-2's but I decided to give speakers a try instead. Following the recommendations of /r/audiophile, I bought a set of JBL LSR 305 speakers and a Polk 12" sub-woofer to really beef up the low end. Cost me around $450 shipped to my apartment.

Previous Speakers -- I have a Bose Soundlink Mini and a UE Boom.

Impressions -- I hooked up the JBL's and Polk sub-woofer to my Benchmark DAC1 and started listening. I started listening to several classical tracks, and didn't really notice much of a difference in terms of sound signature compared to headphones. Everything was clear, crisp, and balanced.

Then I tried some EDM, and the bass hit me out of nowhere! My windows, blinds, plates, cups, chair, hair, desk, ceiling lamp, bed, drink, and even the ice cubes in my refrigerator started shaking. I could feel the bass in my chest and even my head was starting to throb.

I quickly turned the sub-woofer off, and the speakers started to sound like headphones again.

I can't believe what I've been missing from my music! Not even the most expensive setup I've owned, a Benchmark DAC! + Woo WA22 + HD800 came close to a $450 speaker setup. It's like all my headphones completely ignored the deep rumbling sub-bass in my music. I started relistening to my albums, and this was true for every non-classical song I tried.

My HD 800's went in their box, and will soon be sold on eBay or /r/Avexchange. I can't justify keeping them after trying speakers, or more likely, a sub-woofer.

Conclusion -- I regret spending so much money on headphones, since I could've gotten a lot more performance for far less money spent on a basic speaker setup. The main issue with headphones is that music isn't just heard through the ears. It's also felt elsewhere in the body. No headphone setup can ever replicate the deep thunderous bass in music.

Today felt a lot like the day I bought my first supersport motorcycle... a lot cheaper, faster, and way more fun than even the most expensive sports car.

I don't really have any incentive to upgrade, or even keep my headphones at this point. Just like I sold my car after I bought a motorcycle, I'm selling all my headphones.

In my opinion, you really owe it to yourself to try a cheap set of speakers, especially before you consider a $1000+ headphone upgrade. If you like bass, then you must have speakers to truly appreciate the sub-bass.



Submitted January 30, 2017 at 02:29AM by Advice_For_You http://ift.tt/2jLjRBN headphones

No comments:

Post a Comment