Sunday, August 9, 2015

[Discussion] Favorite poems about death/loss? Poetry

Here are two of my favorites; they are both so simple, yet so powerful:

"Separation" by W. S. Merwin

Your absence has gone through me Like thread through a needle Everything I do it stitched with its color. 

"Married" by Jack Gilbert

I came back from the funeral and crawled around the apartment, crying hard, searching for my wife’s hair. For two months got them from the drain, from the vacuum cleaner, under the refrigerator, and off the clothes in the closet. But after other Japanese women came, there was no way to be sure which were hers, and I stopped. A year later, repotting Michiko’s avocado, I find a long black hair tangled in the dirt. 

What are some other good poems dealing with death or loss of a loved one?



Submitted August 10, 2015 at 04:38AM by handsopen http://ift.tt/1N1UeXE Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment