Saturday, August 1, 2015

Chicken Zoodle Soup - Tastes Like Campbell's. I Swear. fitmeals

I took this really good recipe and improvised with what I had in the house...and I kid you not, it ended up tasting just a little bit better than Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup (which I love, but can't eat anymore).

So. Here we go.

First, order a Veggetti from Amazon. Wait two days, because you paid for Amazon Prime thinking you would watch shows on it, but your kid hogs it watching friggin' Fireman Sam before naptime every day.

Ingredients:

8 cups low-salt chicken broth. (Because using the six cups the other recipe recommends means I would have half a box of chicken stock that will age in the back of my refrigerator until it develops its own rhetoric.)

One bunch green onions, sliced relatively thin. (Use some of the green parts, not just the white. I don't know why I did this, but it friggin' worked a treat.)

Handful of baby carrots, sliced pretty thin. I used eight. Which is more than a handful. But that's one mini-carrot per cup of stock because: symmetry.

2 cloves minced garlic.

Salt - to taste. (Unfortunately, soup without salt tastes like hot water with limp vegetables. Did you know sea salt is no healthier than table salt? I didn't. But it's all just salt. Also, there were salt wars more than once. Bad ones. Roman soldiers got paid with salt, sometimes. Cray.)

Black Pepper Corns. (From a pepper grinder that gets used twice a year. I did two turns of the wheel, over the already simmering soup. Because the steam made the wheel slippery, so frig it. Two turns is all you get, bro.)

Old Parsley Flakes. (These have been in my cupboard since before when Comic-Con was still fun to go to and you could get into Hall H without waiting in the blistering sun for 17 hours. As for the amount: I poured these into the hollowed out part on the business end of an old wooden spoon. Probably about a tablespoon.)

Half a small rotisserie chicken that would otherwise not have gotten eaten, because I can't deal with meat on the bone. It's like Anatomy Class that you put in your face. Cut the meat off the bones. Throw the bones away. If you're dumb enough to put bones in your soup, how did you live long enough to learn to read? You're a miracle. Give the skin to your dog. Bury it in his bowl under his regular dry food to make it more "fun" for him to find. And if you have a cat, don't give him anything. If you die at home with no one around, your cat will probably eat your face and hands pretty fast. Just so you know.

One medium yellow zucchini, one small green zucchini. I did buy these at the store for this recipe, because I otherwise relatively despise zucchini unless it's in bread with sugar and nuts and oh gawd I can't eat that crap anymore. Sad. I did not use the green zucchini, by the way. I'm going to save it, and use it when I reheat the leftover soup. I think it will have a better consistency.

Instructions:

Pour two boxes of chicken stock into big metal pot. Don't use a plastic pot. Trust me.

Turn on medium heat under chicken stock.

Cut up green onions, mini-carrots. Throw them in the pot. Cover. Simmah.

Mince two large-ish garlic bulbs. Throw them in the pot. Also: take off the cover before you throw them in.

Simmer stock and veggies for 35 minutes.

Sprinkle in salt and pepper and parsley flakes. Feel like Linguini screwing up the soup in Ratatouille. Realize you are actually more like Remy in Ratatouille. Do Smarty Pants Dance. Don't scald yourself while flailing.

Put your zucchini through the Veggetti, while trying to not laugh about how precisely much that does not sound like a kitchen gadget, especially if there was just an a where the first e is. I used the "Thin" side. Next time, I think I'll use the "Thick" side because the noodles will be more robust.

Add chicken and zucchini to the broth and cook for about 15 minutes, but check the zoodles to make sure they're not too firm, and not too mushy. Turn off heat when zoodles feel right.

Turn off heat, grab ladle, fill bowl, nom. I had mine with one pint of water with one half-cap of lemon juice because soda is the devil. A devil I know far too well. Begone, sugary fizzery Satan.

Couldn't believe how easy this was. And how deliciouso.

I was sure zoodles were going to be a big heap of stupid baloney (like cauliflower "rice"...that ain't no substitute for a right-thinking carb addict). But this really works. I'm so glad I have leftovers.

Chow down!



Submitted August 01, 2015 at 12:57PM by IAmValenTelos http://ift.tt/1fROEde fitmeals

No comments:

Post a Comment