Thursday, October 26, 2017

Trouble with homemade falernum cocktails

Hello all, I'm having a bit of an issue and thought this might be a good place to ask for help. I'm making Zombie cocktails for a Halloween party this weekend, so I've made some batches of homemade falernum using this recipe. I made the first batch a few weeks ago, having noted that it "should keep in the fridge for one month"; however, after about a week I noticed tiny dark spots (speck of dust-to-grain of sand sized) floating around the top of the bottle; they seemed slightly oily, or like they left a bit of a trail in the liquid. I re-strained the fluid and they returned within 24 hours, so I assumed it was mold and threw the batch out, planning on remaking it closer to the party.

It's now 48 hours to party time, and I made a new batch using the same recipe, mixing the liquor with the juice and syrup at about 9 AM this morning, taking extra care to sanitize all my jars and utensils beforehand and re-washing my hands at every step. To my horror, a mere 12 hours later, I am seeing the same dark spots around the edge of the surface of this batch as well. Surely I was mistaken the first time and these must be some sort of essential oils, or bits of zest the cheesecloth didn't catch? There is still a fair amount of sediment (although most of it settles to the bottom), and I find it hard to believe something could go moldy so fast, especially in a refrigerator, but I would much rather be safe than sorry. Is there anyone here who has made homemade falernum and can offer any insight?

tl;dr - Weird floaty stuff appearing in homemade falernum less than 24 hours after creation, despite refrigeration. Sediment/oils or something unwanted?



Submitted October 27, 2017 at 08:34AM by InsinuatedGreasemonk http://ift.tt/2gML6zy cocktails

No comments:

Post a Comment