Sunday, October 29, 2017

[KY] Family member signed a lease after a walk through. Finding new issues prepping to move in. legaladvice

A family member(FM) signed a lease two weeks ago for a single bedroom apartment at a fairly inexpensive rate. According to her, management did a cursory walk through noting minor damages, but to my ear it seemed rushed by MGMT. FM was too excited about having a place of her own to be focused on detail, so not all damages were noted.

I'd not known of it until after the lease signing or would have insisted on being there.

I'll just list what I've found so far:

  • Apt reeked of cat piss coming from master closet.
  • Toilet doesn't flush properly.
  • Dish Washer was full of rust and mildew, doesn't drain.
  • Refrigerator was putrid, the non-removable water pan absolutely full of hard stuck tar, mildew and cockroaches.
  • borax everywhere, presumably for roaches.
  • A coating of nicotine and tar on every conceivable surface.
  • cigarette burns in "new" carpet.

The whole place smelled of cat urine, mildew, cigarettes and dead insects (open a window that's got a collection of dead bugs in the still and take a whiff - it's horrifyingly worse).

I found out today that the fridge had been unplugged, the windows and balcony door left open as well as all the windows during the walk through. I had just assumed incompetence until today.

Unfortunately FM had cleaned most of this herself without taking any photos, and I don't know yet what was listed on the walk through. I've documented anything she hadn't touched. Notably the carpet and fridge.

FM is also disabled, allergic to everything to varying degrees, and prone to illness. The effort put forth in cleaning could take weeks to recover from (she's not even supposed to use a vacuum).

I'm here because she's already signed a lease including pre-existing damages(presumably not even half of what I discovered), and I'm not sure what to do from here forward apart from photo and video documentation. I'm not available to help clean the place, live roaches have been found, her current living situation is on a deadline to move out, and I don't want her ending up in the hospital from exertion or potential health hazards.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.



Submitted October 30, 2017 at 09:45AM by CrustyHypothesis http://ift.tt/2igVSdY legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment