Sunday, October 29, 2017

Help! Smoking chickens for a chef! BBQ

I'm a 16yo female, looking to stick my hands into the culinary world. I've practiced tons over the years and have read up quite a bit, but I want to make sure I do this right. I've been working in the kitchen of the 1# rated resort in the Midwest and today the chef has asked me to smoke him two whole chickens on property. I'm in panic mode! Super excited, make it or break it. This is a 47180T Smoke Hollow smoker and I've never smoked on something this large before. Help me go through the steps and make sure I don't forget anything? He's going to be watching me, so my home steps may be incorrect.

  1. Should I brine the chicken ahead of time? Would that be best?

  2. The rub is whatever they have in the kitchen, I have no idea what they'll have. What should I go through if they have it? Brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, paprika, ground mustard, are my obvious choices.

I'm trying to watch YouTube videos on how to run this machine just right. If any of you know, though, what are some things I should look out for? Don't miss kind of steps? I don't know where to put the wood and charcoal on this thing, if I need to start it the way I start my cave-man mini barrel smoker. I'm thinking a lighter wood they have.

I'll clean the chicken if it needs to be cleaned (remove giblets). Run cold water over and inside it and clean it off. Then, I'll (potentially) brine it over night in something. The next day I'll pull it out (of the refrigerator). Pat it dry and layer the rub generously. No need for binder right? Let sit for an hour or two, fold the wings in and place directly on the grill (room temperature when putting it on the smoker?) And smoke until the breast is at least 165f. What should I smoke it at, temperature wise to get a nice golden crust and it cooked all the way through?

Most detailed steps are appreciated. I just would like to be prepared. I might be doing this on October 31st or November 1st. I know this may sound stupid, but every little bit helps and I thank you for your patience.



Submitted October 30, 2017 at 01:48AM by badgieboss http://ift.tt/2yWq74t BBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment