Monday, October 30, 2017

[Follow-up] Outdoor Coach/Post Light - found the plug to supply it power, but it randomly trips the circuit. What can be done? HomeImprovement

So I posted about this on Saturday. Thank you to the sub for the help in troubleshooting and identifying/finding the power supply.

I have limited experience/skill with electricity. I can run power and a light switch and make them look good, but that is about it.

This device is an outdoor light (3 bulbs) with a photo lens with the power supply buried and running into my crawlspace and terminating at a three prong plug.

I plugged it into an extension cord and ran it to the only outlet I have in my crawlspace. The extension cord had the ground prong broken off, I have since replaced it with a different extension that has a ground prong, but that didn't help.

The circuit has three outlets (one of them is GFCI) and the crawlspace light. The GFCI outlet has my garage refrigerator on it and nothing else. The second outlet is in the crawlspace and has the crawlspace light wired through it, but on a switch near the entrance. I tapped this outlet to run an additional outlet in a closet with my router and modem.

That is all that is on this circuit. Since plugging in the outdoor post light, it has tripped at the GFCI three times. (once with the ungrounded extension and once with the grounded) When it happened the third time I caught it quickly and tried to reset it but it was tripping repeatedly.

My first guess is the photocell is the culprit, but I don't really know how to test it. I would like to run an indoor switch for the light, but I don't want to waste the effort of that project for something that is only going to cause breaker issues.



Submitted October 31, 2017 at 04:15AM by Whats_The_Use http://ift.tt/2luHp3h HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment