Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Refrigerator not cooling - is a bad compressor to blame? HomeImprovement

Hello all - I need help with my refrigerator and freezer. Neither is cooling properly. I thought an over-stuffed freezer might be to blame (causing poor circulation), but I can't seem to get the temp down even after removing nearly everything from both the freezer and fridge. I actually set a small cup of water in my freezer overnight and it didn't freeze (although it did stay cold from the tap). Anyway, I checked the condenser motor and fan; both are working well. Now I suspect the compressor. The compressor relay works well and makes no noise when I shake it, but when I unplug my fridge and plug it back on, the relay clicks and the compressor starts to hum and vibrate within minutes. So here's my big question: can a compressor turn on and still not function? Or is this a sign that my compressor isn't the issue? If so, what should I investigate next? I'd hate to run out and buy a new refrigerator if I don't have to.

BTW - this a GE refrigerator, bought in 2005. I had the motherboard replaced in 2010, so I hardly think that's the issue.



Submitted October 26, 2017 at 04:23AM by tss0707 http://ift.tt/2gExPWg HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment