Monday, October 30, 2017

Help! Smoking chickens for a chef! AskCulinary

I'm a 16yo female, looking to stick my hands into the culinary world. I've practiced tons over the years and have read up quite a bit, but I want to make sure I do this right. I've been working in the kitchen of the 1# rated resort in the Midwest and today the chef has asked me to smoke him two whole chickens on property. I'm in panic mode! Super excited, make it or break it. This is a 47180T Smoke Hollow smoker and I've never smoked on something this large before. I do believe it's indirect. Help me go through the steps and make sure I don't forget anything? He's going to be watching me, so my home steps may be incorrect.

I don't have a specific rub recipe, but I'm trying to keep it under 5 ingredients. No salt as I'm going to be dry brining overnight (24 hours possibly). I have no time limits. I'm not going to put sugar in the rub. Should I add it somewhere? The brine will be just salt.

I'm trying to watch YouTube videos on how to run this machine just right. If any of you know, though, what are some things I should look out for? Don't miss kind of steps? I'm trying to go for lighter woods if they have it. Everything will be off of the property.

I'll spatchcock the chicken and clean it if it needs to be cleaned (remove giblets). Fold the wings in. Dab it off with paper towels, and then cover in salt. Front and back, in all of the crevices, under the skin. I won't cover it. The next day I'll pull it out (of the refrigerator). Pat it dry? and layer the rub generously. No need for binder right? (oil/butter) I'll start up the smoker and get it hot, letting it smoke for about 15 minutes and then place the chickens directly on the grill. Away from the coals. I'll smoke until the breast is at least 150-155f at a 250f temp and then pull off to put under the broiler for a crispy skin, of course. Take out of the oven and wrap in foil. Rest. Eat.

Most detailed steps are appreciated. I just would like to be prepared. I'm trying to do this over Tuesday and Wednesday. I know this may sound stupid, but every little bit helps and I thank you for your patience.



Submitted October 30, 2017 at 07:32PM by badgieboss http://ift.tt/2ieVvRq AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment