Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Refrigerator warm/Freezer cold Appliances

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator with the freezer on bottom. Several times now, the refrigerated area will quit cooling while the freezer remains extremely cold.

I have done some research on this type of event and it usually involves the port from the freezer to the refrigerator getting blocked by ice which keeps the cold air from the freezer from cooling the ref compartment. One cause is the defrost drain can become clogged causing a build up of ice that eventually closes the port. I even found out that this is a common problem with my refrigerator and there was a recall on one of the drain parts.

I have replaced the drain with the service kit from Whirlpool but still experience the problem. The last time it happened, I disassembled the freezer compartment to get a look. Both the drain and port to the ref were obstruction-free. There was, however, plenty of ice build-up. I believe there is either a problem with my thermostat or defrost element. Would a problem either of these cause the only the refrigerator to stop cooling even thought there is no obstruction?

tl;dr: My refrigerator is not cooling even though the freezer is. Do I have a thermostat or defrost element problem?



Submitted June 15, 2016 at 09:44PM by elliold http://ift.tt/1UvccpE Appliances

No comments:

Post a Comment