Saturday, June 25, 2016

Will condensation form inside of a sealed packet if it is removed from refrigeration? (x-post from /r/AskScience) AskPhysics

I am an avid tea drinker, and could be considered a tea enthusiast. Recently I purchased some very high quality Japanese sencha (green tea), which is known for being a fragile tea. Sencha loses its flavor quite quickly in normal room-temperature conditions, so I decided to put all of the unopened packets in the refrigerator so that they last longer.

I have read about condensation forming inside of bags if they are abruptly taken out of the refrigerator, and this condensation can spoil the flavor of the tea. However I have only read about this happening with packets that have already been opened, and thus have fresh air inside of them. The packets I put in the fridge are sealed, though I am not sure if they are nitrogen sealed or not. They are not vacuum sealed.

When I take packets out of the fridge, I let them sit in my room at room temperature for around 24 hours in order to let them acclimate. I have only taken one out so far, and it was only a small packet containing 5g of sencha. I have other packets with 50g or 60g, which are the ones I am more worried about.

If there is any other info you need from me, let me know. I appreciate any help or advice you can give!

Thanks!



Submitted June 26, 2016 at 12:07AM by Frisbeehead http://ift.tt/28UxXhb AskPhysics

No comments:

Post a Comment