Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Full-Size Fridge w/ Top Freezer for Ferm Chamber Homebrewing

So my wife would like a place to freeze extra food, and I would like a fermentation chamber. As a compromise, I found a cheap full-size fridge on Craigslist. I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain freezer temperatures cost-effectively.

I was thinking with the temp probe in the fridge section, and the freezer temp set to bone chilling levels of cold, would it be possible to run it off a temperature controller while keeping the top portion below freezing? Or would I need to replace the fan that moves air from the top to the bottom and put that on a controller? Alternatively, I could just run the fridge on its highest temp setting and add a heat wrap to the fermenter(s), I guess. I'm not crazy about this solution, especially as it adds more cost and complexity.

I'm sick of losing serving ability in my keezer every time I need to ferment a beer.

I've searched a little this morning and haven't found a direct answer to this question, though I know I've seen it asked multiple time in one form or another.

Any thoughts from you guys?

[Edit] Current plan is to secure the fridge, and then see about wiring in two STC-1000 temperature controllers. One for the compressor, and one for the fan/duct/mechanism that supplies air to the refrigerator from the freezer. Hopefully this is a sound plan. I don't think I will be able to source wiring diagrams for a fridge this old.

I'll just have to look once I see what model the fridge is.



Submitted June 29, 2016 at 06:24PM by VolsPE http://ift.tt/29cSH6h Homebrewing

No comments:

Post a Comment