Sunday, February 7, 2016

When I turned 18, 8 years ago, I signed a lease for a home. I moved in with some friends. The friends weren't on the lease, Friends left and I got fired from work. Landlord got very upset that I couldn't pay rent so he evicted me and charged me $5000 in "repair costs." What are my options legaladvice

Alright, I just turned 18 and the world was my oyster! I looked through the paper and found a house close by my parents and close to the college I was going to attend. I asked some friends if they wanted to rent with me and I had 5 people say yes! (2 couples I believe.) We all moved in and everything was great! Until...

I got a D.U.I. At 18 with an already extensive criminal history the courts were not happy. 2 years supervised probation with no drivers license. Alright thats fine, I can bike to class and I have so many other friends, I can just hitch a ride to work as its on the way to work of one of my coworkers. Right?

Wrong, My P.O finds out I am living with these particular individuals and immediately searches the home, find a half a pound of grass and some extacy in my roommates room. Pins him up and says I either have to move or they do. Call a house meeting that night and nobody is happy about it. everyone is pissed at me. So they throw a party and do some small damage to the home, (A broken light fixture here, a hole in the wall there, nothing crazy.)

I try to go to work the next morning, nobody wants to help me out, I call a cab and I ended up being 6 minutes late, fired on the spot. So at this point I am roommate-less and jobless in a house that I couldn't afford even on my own income. I sell my truck for an extra month of rent so I can stay and clean up after everyone. I do as much as I can, Patch the holes, buy new light fixtures, steam cleaned the carpet, whiped out the fridge. It looked damn near better than I got it except for the carpet, it was toast. There was no not replacing that.

I call my land lord and tell him I am gonna have to move out in 2 weeks. He is outraged. Completely my fault I say. I'm sorry this is my first time renting and I didn't account for "being left with the check." I move all my stuff out and go back to my parents.

A few weeks later I am in jail for some reason, I can't remember exactly but I believe it was a small violation of probation that just required me to do a short stint. I receive a letter in Jail stating I am being sued! My landlord was sueing for property damage and repair? He made a complete list of what was to be replaced in the home, including new carpet, new REFRIGERATOR, painting every room again professionally, even lightbulbs! I was charged in total $5000!

I called my P.O from jail and he told me no dice, I can't let you out to go to this hearing, as its a civil matter and not criminal. I get out and find a letter at my house stating the lawsuit fell in his (my Landlords) favor as I did not attend the hearing. I call the courts and there is nothing I can do. I couldn't afford a lawyer to fight for me and so it has been just sitting there.

This was 8 years ago. I have 1.) Stopped drinking, april will be 4 years! 2.) Made much better friends. 3.) Rented from 5 different landlords, each of which gave me my full deposit and a recommendation, and 4.) Gotten my life back on track with a full time job of which I have been employed a year, a car and a great little shack here in Seattle. Life is good now. I am looking into buying a newer car and wanted to check my credit first and of course came across this public records account.

So at this point, what are my options? Is there a statute of limitations on civil court cases? Will this always be on my credit history report?



Submitted February 08, 2016 at 12:08PM by browncow89 http://ift.tt/1mmTeTK legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment