Sunday, February 28, 2016

[23M4F] Helping Hands dirtypenpals

A whole lot of good luck came showering down on my mom in one week, and some of it splattered onto me as well, making me feel very lucky and very happy. She went to work one Monday morning and by mid-afternoon she had in her possession a letter promoting her to a managerial position with a considerable hike in pay. Two days later one year's retroactive pay of sixty percent was paid out to workers of her company following a two year dispute between the company and the representing union which was eventually taken to arbitration.

The next day mom promptly replaced our old refrigerator and her shaky bed which had a mattress with a number of broken springs. It was an old bed which she and my dad had shared for years, bought before I was even born. Dad had moved away three years ago to live with a much younger co-worker. The Friday of that lucky week was her birthday and the items were delivered that very afternoon.

I was at home, having just completed high school. After putting the new fridge in place I dismantled the old bed, took it out the room and was in the process of setting up the new one when mom came home about two hours later than usual. It was obvious that she was a little tipsy. She hardly ever drank, and was very light headed; it didn't take much to get her drunk. I was glad when she arrived; because I found out that I needed another pair of helping hands to get the bed assembled. Mom said that she had been taken for a birthday drink by her co-workers. She said that as soon as she took a shower she would help me complete the setting up.




Submitted February 29, 2016 at 12:52AM by ddpnight http://ift.tt/1QdLP4b dirtypenpals

No comments:

Post a Comment