Sunday, February 28, 2016

Help with bagel blisters, cracks, and wrinkles (xpost askculinary) Breadit

I am trying to perfect a bagel recipe for eventual mass production and distribution from a professional kitchen. I have the size, texture, and taste I want, but the bagels don't look good. They crack in the oven, and after they cool for ten minutes they start getting wrinkled on top.

Bagel wrinkles

Bagel blisters

Bagel cracks

Here's my recipe:

Mix:

6g yeast

2.2 kg high gluten flour

2.4 kg warm water

((Let sit until double))

Add:

2.4 kg flour

50 g salt

50 g malt powder

((In mixer for ten minutes))

((Immediately shape into 5 oz balls))

((Immediately shape balls into bagels))

((Immediately move to refrigerator to sit overnight))

Next morning:

((Reshape bagels by flattening and stretching))

((Boil 4 at a time for 1 minute on each side in 2 gal water with 10 g baking soda and 5 g malt powder))

((Let sit for 3 minutes to cool))

((Bake at 450 without convection for ten min, rotating pan at 5 min))

I have tried changing boil time and bake time and temperature, but I can't get a consistently good looking product. What am I doing wrong? What should I try next?



Submitted February 29, 2016 at 01:18AM by DuchessMC http://ift.tt/21tm0FE Breadit

No comments:

Post a Comment