Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Shithead GM: Menage a Trois TalesFromTheFrontDesk

I swear this is my last post about David the Wonderful GM from Wonderful Land. BUT it's not just about David. It's about the FDM as well, and the fact that David even let her work there. Let's call her Jezebel, for reasons that will become apparent.

-David had no idea how to run the systems, for that he had Jezebel. For all her faults, she really did know the operating systems inside and out, and could do anything with it. She had a fairly good grasp of numbers as well, so I think from an accounting standpoint, she was the only reason the place didn't go under. I give credit where credit is due. She was a crazy bitch, but she knew that hotel inside and out.

-Jezebel was having a decade long affair with a married man. He would stop by from time to time and they would disappear for about an hour. I don't know if they went to an empty room or just to his truck. I don't really care either. The first time she abandoned me for a quickie was on my second shift while training.

-Jezebel also had a problem with drugs, and DUI's. In my second week of training, a couple police officers showed up and took her away. I was young and didn't know much about that stuff at the time, but I'm assuming they had a warrant for her.

-Jezebel was demoted from FDM to FDA for something, and no one was sure what. But, a few weeks after being demoted, she was caught on camera trying to break into a locked file cabinet with a screwdriver and was then fired. Apparently there was a write-up in the cabinet that she wanted to get rid of? It happened after I left so I heard about it 3rd hand so who knows how much truth there is. I don't doubt it for a second though.

-If Jezebel saw a sexy man walking into the building, she would immediately lean over the air conditioner to perk up her nipples. She never wore a bra.

-One fateful night, I got a call from a VIP member, he stayed with us a lot. To the point where, he would call the front desk, tell us to order a pizza and pay for it out of the drawer and he would reimburse us at check out. And this was OK'd by David. I get a call from VIP member at like 2am, stating that Jezebel was going to be late for work the next morning. Ummm, wtf? He then went on to state he would talk to David and guarantee I would get double wages for the 2 or 3 hours I would have to stay late before Jezebel got there. I was so, so young. I said whatever, I'll stay. My shift was supposed to be over at 7am. Jezebel showed up at noon, hair a mess, yesterday's makeup, and very very happy. If you haven't guessed, she totally stayed in VIP's room... With him and his wife. Lotsa drugs, lotsa sex. And I got to hear all about it. As you also probably guessed, I never saw the extra wages, though I never actually expected them. I also got in trouble for staying late and going into overtime. (As a very young 20something, I was aghast that people actually had threesomes? As a mid 30's adult I'm like, you go girl... but maybe don't do it at work. Just a thought.)

-Back to David. The man did not give a flying fuck about employee safety. The hotel had a large parking lot bordered by woods, and he expected us to walk the perimeter every night. After being literally chased back to the hotel by a crazy person (that's a whole 'nother post), I brought in pepper spray, and was told I wasn't allowed to carry it. Fuck that, I carried it everywhere.

-David also emphasized "heads in beds". Didn't matter what heads, as long as they had money. That meant if someone walked in and gave hella creepy vibes, said hella creepy things, or straight up threatened us, we were not supposed to let them leave without renting a room. He would check the cameras and if he saw that someone had come in to inquire about a room, and left without renting, we were given the 3rd degree and potentially written up for losing revenue. I cannot count how many times I checked someone in, and then stayed in the locked back office out of pure fear.

-David didn't believe in having a 24 hour maintenance guy on call. He also didn't believe in replacing broken air conditioning units or broken refrigerators, instead apologizing to guests and guaranteeing we would replace it as soon as they checked out, and never doing so. If someone called and said their AC didn't work, I was required to go into the room and try and fix it, regardless of who was in the room. Did I do that? A couple times yes, but after the first attempted assault, I told him to fucking fire me because I wouldn't be going in guest rooms alone ever again. I still won't to this day, unless I see children.

-The reason I finally left, and the conclusion of these ranting lists. I worked every single weekend for over 8 months. Every. Single. One. That is not an exaggeration. My best friend was getting married on Memorial Day weekend, and I requested it off. I was told no, because that weekend is super busy and I was needed. I went back through the records for the last 10 years and we had never sold out on Memorial Day Weekend, not by a long shot. I went back and demanded the weekend off because I hadn't had a Friday or Saturday night off in almost a year. Again I was told no. I slid my 2 week notice onto his desk and told him I figured he would say that, because he is a piece of shit and I can't believe I worked for him as long as I did. He said he wouldn't give me a good reference, and I told him to go to hell. I was free.

-Fuck that guy.

Thanks for reading these, it was fun and infuriating to write out. I love my hotel now, and I will never work for a raging jagoff like that guy again.



Submitted October 01, 2017 at 03:45PM by sassystarfleet http://ift.tt/2kdwUk0 TalesFromTheFrontDesk

No comments:

Post a Comment