Monday, May 30, 2016

My upright freezer was left open! Is my fridge food ok? food

I have a standard American refrigerator with 2 doors. Top door is for the freezer, bottom is for the fridge. My understanding is the freezer air is circulated in the fridge compartment for cooling.

My son placed a large tray of chicken quarters in the freezer and it fell out, opening the door, and everything in the freezer was thawed by the time I saw it this morning. I checked the stuff and it was all thawed. Ice cream was liquid. Totally melted. I know I have to toss everything in the freezer. I just closed it and figured I'd take care of it later. Today was a busy day heading into town to pay respects at the national cemetery and I really didn't have time for that. I figure, it's no good. I'll worry about it later.

So then I get home and realize I never checked the food in the fridge to see if that was cold or not.

I'd normally say "screw it" and toss everything, but tomorrow is my birthday and I bought $50 in king crab legs for my birthday dinner. It's only 2 1/2 lbs (4 pieces) of crab, but I'm in Minnesota and that stuff isn't cheap here. I can't afford to replace it, but I'm not sure if it's safe to eat now.

The food in the freezer was still cold, just thawed.

I'm a little frustrated and I don't know what to do.

The king crab legs are pre-cooked. All I have to do is heat it up. I'm not sure if that changes the rules or not, being as it's not raw meat.

I'm kind of pissed at my son, but he was trying to do the right thing. The chicken was thawed and didn't have to go in the freezer, and there was room in the fridge.

(teenagers!!)



Submitted May 31, 2016 at 07:51AM by taterhotdish http://ift.tt/1O0qvlj food

No comments:

Post a Comment