Friday, May 27, 2016

Failing AC Causes $650 Electricity Bill - Does Landlord Pay? legaladvice

I'm a renter in Florida, where I am responsible for the electricity bill, but the landlord provided the appliances (AC, Refrigerator, etc). I got a call from the power company on Wednesday indicating that they had just cut my bill, and wanted to warn me that it was coming, as it was likely that I would be shocked. It was nearly $550 higher than usual (and $500 higher than any time in my life), at nearly $650. The power company indicated that the problem was likely my AC, hot-water heater, or pool pump (I don't have a pool) as those are the only appliances that can come close to draining that much power. (It's around a 75 Amp constant drain @ 120VAC!) Since I'm an electrical guy, I managed to cycle breakers in the house and watch the mains current using the power company dashboard to verify that turning the AC off at the breaker stops the current drain (but my Florida residence gets hot quite quickly without it).

Thus, I'm paying nearly $25/day in electricity, while I've already called my landlord, twice, to get them over here ASAP to fix my AC unit.

Do I have any legal standing or recourse to expect them to help cover the $550 additional power bill due to their failing AC unit? I reported it within an hour of finding out on my end that there was a problem, but sadly, it had already been sucking up juice for the better part of a month. I am legally responsible for the power bill, but since it's their AC unit, I'm wondering if there's any standing.



Submitted May 28, 2016 at 08:24AM by Tairc http://ift.tt/1P5m88U legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment