Friday, May 27, 2016

Discussion topic - TE vs. Compressor cooling in a wineador/frigeador cigars

I don't think this qualifies as a knowledge drop especially as I stole this information from a post on FOH. After reading that post I would have to say I agree. Now, I understand that there may be other issues with compressor based cooling such as noise and short cycling at high temps especially when converting a standard refrigerator to cigar storage with temps we tend to run but I am curious as to everyone else's thoughts. Here is the info I stole from someone much smarter than I.

In order to remove heat, you need a means by which to transfer it. The most common means is to introduce something cold and move the air past it. How well it works will be determined by the design, the heat differential between the "cold plate" and the ambient air, and the dwell time, the rate that you move the air past the cold plate.

The evaporation coil of a plasma or compressor type cooler is one type of cold plate. The heat sink of a TE cooler is a cold plate. So I have to ask (rhetorically) how does passing air and water know the difference? The answer is this... It doesn't!!!

The TE cooler humidor myth is just that... a myth! If we look at a typical ambient/dew point differential of say 15˚F and you lower the temp of the TE cooler to that point or below, you are going to get condensation on it. Those are the facts of the matter, it is that plain and that simple.



Submitted May 28, 2016 at 08:30AM by Ash_Man http://ift.tt/1RyE7Pg cigars

No comments:

Post a Comment