Saturday, May 28, 2016

I [22 F] think that my uncle [56 M] is taking advantage of my mother [63 F] relationships

Let me begin by saying, I don't like my mother's side of the family. I don't consider them my kin (especially since I was adopted) and I have no problem standing up to them. My father passed away when I was 13 and he was an only child so my mom cut ties with his family. I wish I had gotten to know his side of the family more, but this is the way things are and there's not much I can do about it.

My family owns a vacation home in a beach town in Florida. My uncle, who is the primary caretaker of my grandmother, lives in Orlando, which is about an hour from our house. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and it's gotten to the point where it's beginning to interfere with her personality and her motor skills. She's always been rude and mean, but now she's even more hostile. Before she started developing symptoms she and my uncle would take care of the house by mowing the grass, keeping after the plants, etc. Now they just go there to... I don't even know, hang out? There's really no reason for them to be there. My uncle and grandmother have a different last name than us and they have no legal rights to the house, so there's that. They also don't keep up after the place like they used to. When I've gone there by myself I've seen trash in the garbage, expired food in the refrigerator, etc. Also, my grandmother keeps having UTI after UTI and now can barely control her bladder. My mother isn't happy that he keeps taking her there, especially since she is thinking of letting it out for rent to snow birds, but she hasn't said anything to him. She keeps threatening to, but doesn't. I think she isn't doing it because she wants to avoid confrontation with her favorite brother. I took what I thought were all of the keys to the house (he would keep them under rocks around the front porch) but apparently I didn't because they were there last weekend. I really believe he's taking advantage of my mother and it PISSES ME OFF beyond belief. I'm considering getting the locks changed next weekend. Should I do this though, or should I let my mother fight her own battles?

tl;dr: My uncle takes advantage of my mother by bringing my grandmother over to our vacation house every weekend and not taking care of it properly when my mother wants to let it out for rent. I'm considering getting involved in some manner, possibly by having the locks changed.



Submitted May 28, 2016 at 11:06PM by BallinCorgi http://ift.tt/1NUR37m relationships

No comments:

Post a Comment