Monday, May 30, 2016

"Oh, you can't help me then!" TalesFromRetail

So like I've said before, I work in a big box home improvement store. I work in the assembly area, putting together mostly grills this time of year as well as tillers, mowers, porch swings etc. Recently, the Appliance guys have been encroaching on my area in order to store their refrigerators, so there's less and less room, necessitating me taking grills out to the floor myself for staging outside rather than waiting for the Seasonal Dept. to do it. They're swamped anyway, so I don't mind. It is, after all, Memorial Day Weekend.

So I'm hauling out grills, and I've taken out three or four and seen the same guy poking around in plumbing (getting stuck in Plumbing is the worst... all the little parts that have to fit exactly and whatnot, I try and just get the Pros to help when I can. We were slammed and no Pros were available). So I'm on my way back, and I remind you, this guy has SEEN me hauling grills from the back. He'll be Garbage Disposal (since that was what he was buying) or GD, and I'll be me, or M.

GD: I need something M: Okay, what can I do for you?

Dude proceeds to tear open a disposal box he's been carting about and hands me the whole piece.

GD: I need the piece to hook this up to my line, I've already got the line, but I need this piece

I look at it and although I'm VERY unfamiliar with the Plumbing area, and absolutely HATE getting caught back there, I try and help out since this is something I can actually manage!

M: Okay, looks like you need a 3/4 fitting with male threads. GD: Where is that? M: Well if you'll just follow me, I think they're in the next aisle

I do in fact, know exactly what I'm doing this time! I'm thrilled, I can get this guy taken care of and get back to my hole where I belong!

GD however, does not follow. He starts looking at brass fittings that aren't what he needs. The ones with little handles and stuff on them.

M: Sir, they're over this way GD: Okay sure... (starts looking at gutters and whatnot) M: If you'll just follow m...

At this point another customer walks up and looks at me and says "Hey, where ya'll hidin' the Sump Pumps!?"

M: I don't actually know sir, but I can look that up on the app for you in just a second - I don't actually work in this department, I'm in...

GD: You don't work in plumbing?! M: No sir, I work in assembly, but I do know where the fitt...

GD Oh... well you can't help me then, what use are ya!?

He proceeds to snatch his disposal from me and continue poking around at water softeners or some other nonsense that aren't the fittings he needs - Sump Pump guy has also found exactly what he needs just down a few feet - that one I'll admit is my bad. But still.

At any rate, I'm no longer stuck in plumbing and the idiot who won't listen still isn't finding what he needs. I'm happy and hightail it back to my hole where I proceed to put together a few more grills and listen to a Superman Podcast far away from annoying customers.



Submitted May 30, 2016 at 10:22PM by captainsinfonia http://ift.tt/24h1B2I TalesFromRetail

No comments:

Post a Comment