Monday, October 2, 2017

Refrigerator in Apartment (WA) legaladvice

Hello LegalAdvice!

For the past year and a half I have had trouble out of the refrigerator in my apartment. When the problems first started happening the fridge became warm and we lost the food out of the fridge. Since they didn't have the part in stock to fix the problem, they allowed us to store our freezer food in an empty apartment since the freezer was staying cold. Funnily enough, painters came in the apartment and stole the food from the freezer (likely thinking it was abandoned). My apartment manager was shocked and gave us a $150 gift card to Safeway to make up for it.

However, since the repair has happened the fan has made a grinding noise and the fridge has been running constantly. I have had the fridge looked at twice since then and both times I got that the fridge was working normally and that the freezer was too full. I have an Uncle that works on Appliances (owns an appliance repair company for 37 years) and says that the argument that the fridge is too full is nonsense. Additionally, I posted in /r/appliancerepair and it seems that they agree.

Today, it has been over 3 days since I noticed the fridge becoming warm again. My I opened a maintenance request Saturday morning at 7:30 AM PST and as of right now I have no resolution. I bought two large bags of ice from the store last night to place in the fridge and this morning the temperature read 43 degrees. Since I have two kids (one 4.5, the other under a year) I don't trust this food any longer and am rather upset that this is not being taken seriously.

LegalAdvice, what is my best option here? Small claims? I have renter's insurance and opened a claim but they only pay past damages at $100 to use the refrigeration policy (meaning they pay out $50 for $150 in food spoilage). Considering the freezer works fine it may be a bit of a wash if I have to pay any deductible (customer service said the adjuster would know). I am waiting to talk to the apartment manager as well because this has been an ongoing issue and I would really prefer to have a new fridge in a unit that I'm paying $2000/month for that has a fridge manufactured in 1999 without an icemaker.

Any thoughts? TIA



Submitted October 03, 2017 at 12:58AM by oldgeektech http://ift.tt/2xbZ6VO legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment